Drop shot rig

• Jim
    Participant

I’ve noticed several guides and some anglers using drop shot rigs rather than a Dubuque rig.
    What’s the advantage of a drop shot rig with 2 baits versus a Dubuque rig?
    How high up is the first bait and second bait?
    Any other tips for tying one for the river?

I may try one tomorrow.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

If your talking about a drop shot with two baits above the weight all on the same mainline? Advantage is to always have baits a set amount above bottom when dropping down to contact bottom. Distances of any setup like this is ever flexible. I’ve never ran that setup but I could see people doing it if they don’t have heavy enough jigs to replace the drop shot weight.
    Advantage is also to run a subtle presentation like a true drop shot where you wiggle a stationary bait and maybe hop it along. I’m not aware of this as described above to be popular. I’ve done it with flies for big pike, but dragged versus stationary.

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

I’ve done this some. A dubuque rig likely would have worked just as well, but needed more weight than my jigs would support. First hook was normally 4-6″ above the weight and the second depended on the height I was seeing the suspended fish, normally 12-18″ above the first bait. I was trying to stay stationary and vertical in current with a couple fluke style baits. It was very effective, but I don’t like fishing slow so this is always a last resort technique.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.