Drones

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Do any of you fly a drone? Plan on getting one for Christmas? I love the video you can get i’m just wondering how hard are they to fly?

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Just don’t fly one over an airport cool

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The good ones fly themselves. The cheap ones are impossible to fly with any hope of getting any good video. (or even getting them back after take off.)

-J.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You guys keep going on and on and on about drones.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Your point?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Your subtle humor isn’t lost on me. Good form, pug.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

The good ones fly themselves. The cheap ones are impossible to fly with any hope of getting any good video. (or even getting them back after take off.).
    I can verify the cheap ones are hard to fly , at least the one I bought for my son . Any recommendations on a good one to buy ?
    -J.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a drone and it basically flies itself it is very simple to use I can get pretty decent battery life out of it well we’re out boating I can go all over the lake and thing returns to me with the hit of a button. I bought my son a cheap one and that thing takes all the skill in the world to fly and come back

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

How much do you want to spend and what exactly do you want to do with it?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There is basically endless amounts of money to spend in this market. So like tom asked. What will it be used for and how serious.
    I lucked out and bought mine second hand from the brother inlaw who’s a doctor and likes to upgrade toys constantly. And I reap the benefits on techy stuff like that. Mine is a “race drone” he said. All I know is it takes awesome quality videos. Only used it a few times, but our last vacation I filmed the family on the lake and paddle boarding and tubing. Gave it back to the doc and he edited one really cool video out of it. And it’s pretty fun to fly.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Just don’t fly one over an airport cool

I see what you did there.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Just make sure you don’t fly it by a school bus when the yellow lights are flashing.

Red Eye

What kind of range does a guy get on a drone? Always thought they would be very useful for scouting ducks and geese.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What kind of range does a guy get on a drone? Always thought they would be very useful for scouting ducks and geese.

My drone flies up to 1 mile, brother in laws new one is 2.5 or something crazy.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Red Eye wrote:</div>

My drone flies up to 1 mile, brother in laws new one is 2.5 or something crazy.

. What make and model are you using ?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

. What make and model are you using ?
    [/quote]

Dji, and I believe it’s the pro 4plus, but I have to look. It may be a phantom 4 plus.

blackbay

I’d think twice about using it for hunting. I know they are illegal to use for hunting big and small game. I’m guessing using them hunting waterfowl is illegal also.

Give it a try though. By next season the bus passing thread should have died down and we can debate the merits of scouting with drones. -)

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have 5 FPV ( first person view )quad copters from a TinyWoop to do indoor racing to 250 size for outside aerobatics. One of my friends built a quad he has gone as far as 5 miles with it, he has probably about $2000 in it building it himself not including the transmitter.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

Your point?

Come on Dutch!

Red Eye

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Red Eye wrote:</div>

I’d think twice about using it for hunting. I know they are illegal to use for hunting big and small game. I’m guessing using them hunting waterfowl is illegal also.

Give it a try though. By next season the bus passing thread should have died down and we can debate the merits of scouting with drones. -)

I’ve never read it in the book where it says you can’t use them.

Timmy

You are one glorious S.O.B., Pug.

pete the catfisherman
    Crawford county WI

I have phantom 3 pro that’s real easy to fly. Distance all depends on the surroundings maybe 3 miles at best. The 4 might go further not sure. Battery life is 20-25 minutes so might want a spare. Don’t think it would have much use scouting other then maybe huge flocks as even cars look small from way up there.
    A little advice don’t install firmware updates unless it’s not working right. Twice I’ve had updates cause major problems and had to wait for another update before flying it again.

They do take great pics and videos

Attachments:
    1. DJI_0001_Moment.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Pete, I had a issue with my 4 and a update. But I was always to to not go over a mile due to battery life. But I get about 40 minutes I believe. But that’s just from my brother in law who sold it to me

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.