Dog is ready for Fall (and so am I)

• troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

Here is my wirehaired pointer locked up on a squirrel in the back yard. This was 8 minutes into a 10 minute standoff that ended with the squirrel running up a tree and the dog trying to follow it. (Quality of pic is bad due to it being from a camera phone) Anyone else ready to shoot some birds?

Todd_NE

Seeing the rudi’s chasing momma hard out here. Lots of hail this year in NE and SD, not sure how that’s affecting things. Up in SC SD when I’ve traveled I’ve seen a lot of birds. Haven’t seen my first little pheasants yet, should be soon. If only we couldn’t get any alfalfa out for three-four more weeks, I can dream…. (swathers kill a pile of chicks out here).

Pheasant – It’s what’s for dinner

Todd’s Big Woman Grandma German Pheasant – Prepare small chunks/strips of pheasant and dredge them in flour, salt and pepper. Add the pheasant to a cast iron or other heavy skillet that has 1/8 – 1/4″ of a mix of butter crisco and olive oil that is heated just below medium (Ya, she used lard and butter). Brown the pheasant chunks and remove. Add in ONE sliced yellow onion PER person and turn up the heat a little. Start the onions, stirring often. After 5-10 minutes add the pheasant on top of the onions and cover for 10 minutes. Every ten minutes stir the mix. After 30 minutes or so (when the onions carmelize, that is break down, turn black, etc.) serve.

I don’t know why this recipe works. It’s one of those 1 + 1 = culinary 10

Todd_NE

Seeing the rudi’s chasing momma hard out here. Lots of hail this year in NE and SD, not sure how that’s affecting things. Up in SC SD when I’ve traveled I’ve seen a lot of birds. Haven’t seen my first little pheasants yet, should be soon. If only we couldn’t get any alfalfa out for three-four more weeks, I can dream…. (swathers kill a pile of chicks out here).

Pheasant – It’s what’s for dinner

Todd’s Big Woman Grandma German Pheasant – Prepare small chunks/strips of pheasant and dredge them in flour, salt and pepper. Add the pheasant to a cast iron or other heavy skillet that has 1/8 – 1/4″ of a mix of butter crisco and olive oil that is heated just below medium (Ya, she used lard and butter). Brown the pheasant chunks and remove. Add in ONE sliced yellow onion PER person and turn up the heat a little. Start the onions, stirring often. After 5-10 minutes add the pheasant on top of the onions and cover for 10 minutes. Every ten minutes stir the mix. After 30 minutes or so (when the onions carmelize, that is break down, turn black, etc.) serve.

I don’t know why this recipe works. It’s one of those 1 + 1 = culinary 10

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Troy,great pic.My old female setter still points about everything that moves when she’s in the yard.Yep were ready as always.Only 4 months away.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Troy,great pic.My old female setter still points about everything that moves when she’s in the yard.Yep were ready as always.Only 4 months away.
    Ryan Hale

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

My 1 year old yello lab is also a pointer. Her latest thing is pointing the box elder bugs on the side of the house. It is Hilarious to watch. I will try to get some pictures. Great photo. Love2Fish.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

My 1 year old yello lab is also a pointer. Her latest thing is pointing the box elder bugs on the side of the house. It is Hilarious to watch. I will try to get some pictures. Great photo. Love2Fish.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

I thought I was in trouble when I got him and he pointed at a septic pipe coming out of the ground for 5 minutes and sneaked up on it- my wife thought I was the biggest dope in the world for getting him.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

I thought I was in trouble when I got him and he pointed at a septic pipe coming out of the ground for 5 minutes and sneaked up on it- my wife thought I was the biggest dope in the world for getting him.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.