Does this sound like a scam?

• JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Just listed my LX9 for sale on CL and got a text from a Florida area code an hour later. The text is below in 4 parts. Does this sound like a scam to any of you guys? As the old Hill Street Blues famous saying goes, “Let’s be careful out there people”. Anyone in the service ever call their CO or superior a “Boss”? Not when I was in.

The images are in reverse order so start with the lower right, then upper right, then low left and finally upper left for the proper sequence.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0490.png

2. IMG_0488.png

3. IMG_0489.png

4. IMG_0487.png

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Hard to say but it seems fishy. All I can say is that there are plenty of local buyers out here.

Will you take a check? whistling

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It’s legit. Send the unit and $500 cash. Tell him to send the money back once he is satisfied with the unit.

TripleA
    Blaine

It’s legit. Send the unit and $500 cash. Tell him to send the money back once he is satisfied with the unit.

This is a joke obviously…

Really- IF YOU QUESTION IT, its your gut saying NO. I would wait for another buyer unless I was desperate.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

UPDATE: Now he tells me he sent a payment to PayPal (He didn’t, I checked) but sent some bogus eMails with links for me to click. He also send an additional $400 or so and wants cash back. Classic scam. Needless to say, I will not be clicking any of those links. Further, he has texted me now saying he will report me to PayPal and other legal action if I do not send the unit. Too funny.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Of course, I need to send the $400 in cash FIRST via. Western Union and THEN they will credit my PayPal account the funds. But get this, I get another text from him asking about an exercise machine I also listed on CL. He didn’t even bother to see that I was the same guy he was trying to scam on the LX9. Geeze man, if I could get my hands around that neck….

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ask him to call you and give him the number to the Mpls. FBI offices cyber crime department. That will get his attention.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m still waiting on my check. Now my army boss is yelling at me for being on the internet, thanks for nothing jerk.

lundojam

If it looks like a skunk, smells like a skunk, and walks like a skunk, it’s probably a skunk.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

At first when I learned the area code for the phone number was from Florida, I thought it was @mplspug1

Was still afraid it wouldda been a scam! lol

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Kent, you have to accept my Friend request before I can PM you.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Nice play flug smash

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I would like to thank everyone who saw Florida but did not mention me, leaving the door open.

big_g
    Isle, MN

key word in a scam… “KINDLY:…. also “intentionally beg” are some new one’s for me jester

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

“I intentionally beg my boss” as opposed to unintentional begging, like me on a Friday night…

Also…why does JD hate Marcum? (cue courtroom chatter)

deertracker

Fyi, you don’t have to be friends to send messages anymore.
    DT

desperado

first you have to transfer your fishbucks to his acct, then he can accept your friend request and provide you with GPS coordinates to the Treasure of PigsEye Parrant

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Also…why does JD hate Marcum?

lol! I don’t hate Marcum! I have a backup Vex, needed some cash to Pay for a 4 wheeler with tracks and the Marcum was monetarily worth the most. Just shuffling the assets around a little here and there to get a balanced set of gear. I’ll get another Marcum in a few months when my cash is not going towards the wheeler. Imagine being the first guy having the new Marcum with the map chip integrated! THAT will be my next Marcum baby! Oh yeah!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>
    Also…why does JD hate Marcum?

lol! I don’t hate Marcum! I have a backup Vex, needed some cash to Pay for a 4 wheeler with tracks and the Marcum was monetarily worth the most. Just shuffling the assets around a little here and there to get a balanced set of gear. I’ll get another Marcum in a few months when my cash is not going towards the wheeler. Imagine being the first guy having the new Marcum with the map chip integrated! THAT will be my next Marcum baby! Oh yeah!

Nice! I would really like to get a side X side with tracks. I was just stirring the pot regarding the Marcum. devil

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

I list a lot of stuff on Craigslist and get scams like this frequently. The last one said he was on an Army base in Georgia and wanted to send me money for a tablet I was selling. I told him that my nephew is on the same Army base and he would just meet him in person. That was the last message I received from them.

My dad did sell a jeep last month on CL to a guy in Illinois. They talked on the phone a lot and sent my dad a check. He brought the check to the bank and deposited and waited about 2 weeks. Once everything cleared the guy sent a semi for the Jeep. I didn’t like the entire thing but it worked out…

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I hear ya bell. I suspected that was the gig. But now that I think of it, that new trolling motor may take priority over a new Marcum. If you see a beat up 18 foot jon boat on pool 4 with that new baby, you’ll know who the sucker in the room is! Hah!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.