Do you stop?

• Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I have a 19′ boat that is towed with a half ton pickup and there have been a few times when on the interstate I go over a weigh in motion scale the light goes off saying ‘truck must exit’. Two out of three times that I stopped it appeared that I was actually weighed, but the other time the guy gave me the “What and the heck are you doing look” and waved me on. I’ve seen other people stop as well, but some just drive on by with a similar rig. I would hate to drive by and then get ran down and ticketed. So….what do you do and why?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

This must be something that is WAY more common in NE. I’ve towed a large boat all over MN, IA, Wisc. and both Dakota’s and Canada and have never witnessed anything like that. Not sure how I’d handle it. I would probably just keep on driving. I guess i thought those weigh stations were only for Truck Drivers

CaptainMusky

I just did a quick search and this pops up, but that seems odd.

“Trucks that weigh more than 10,000 lbs gross and pickup trucks that are pulling trailers must weigh at Nebraska weigh stations. RVs don’t. PrePass trucks that receive a green light in Nebraska must still enter an open weigh station if they are pulling an oversize/overweight (even permitted) load.”

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

No. Let them chase you down.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Only if you are 10k and over. I deal with weight stations daily

mojo

What I would suggest is to go to a certified scale or weigh station – preferably one that can weigh each axle individually, and get a certified weight with your rig loaded as it would be for a trip. Gas tanks full, rods, reels, tackle, coolers full of ice, maybe include a friend and their gear, and stop before departing for a fishing trip. That way you will know what your max load typically weighs. If it’s under 10,000 lbs by a few hundred pounds, you know you should always be safe to bypass the weigh station. If you are close to, or over 10k, then you are supposed to go through any open weigh station. If you will be using weigh stations, check your tire’s load rating – especially the rear axle of the tow vehicle – this is that axle that could exceed it’s rating if your cargo area and the nose of the boat trailer are loaded heavy. Your door sticker does not mean anything if you change out the factory tires or even if your tire pressure is below the max tow rating. So if you’re close to maximum on tow capacity, make sure you adjust tire pressure accordingly, and make note of where you load the heavier items so that the weight is distributed properly.
    That being said, if your load is secure, and you appear to be driving safely, I think it’s very unlikely you’d get run down by a scale cop.

Adam Steffes

Do I stop, no. Unless I am doing some commercial activity I don’t pay any attention whether I am pulling my camper or my boat or one of a few available utility trailers. I figure the scale guys would just laugh at you if you were to pull in with a leisure fishing boat.

B-man

No, not with a personal truck and personal boat.

I’m well over 10,000lbs

MNdrifter

Depends. If your doing commerce, such as fishing tournament or going to a trade show or something then you would have to stop in my opinion. Even if you have a 1/2 ton and are under 10k pounds. But if your just going fishing I wouldn’t pull in even if I was over 10k.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

This thread go go off the tracks really fast.
    There is a huge difference between commercial and non-commercial vehicles. Throw in not-for-hire and things get complicated. You also have interstate and intrastate to complicate things.

Any of you guys drive 35E in downtown St. Paul?

Any vehicle over 9000lbs needs to exit, 3/4 ton or more you could get ticketed.

buschman
    Pool 2

This thread go go off the tracks really fast.
    There is a huge difference between commercial and non-commercial vehicles. Throw in not-for-hire and things get complicated. You also have interstate and intrastate to complicate things.

Any of you guys drive 35E in downtown St. Paul?

Any vehicle over 9000lbs needs to exit, 3/4 ton or more you could get ticketed.

Bingo! Unless you have a DOT# on the side of your vehicle I would not stop.. Just keep going. It would be funny to hear some of the stories at that weigh station. I know they have a few.

munchy
    NULL

Reading the Nebraska regs it sounds like trucks over 10k AND ALL pickups pulling trailers must stop. Doesn’t seem to differentiate between personal and commercial.

If I were at all worried I’d likely pull into one and just ask. Shouldn’t hurt anything. If they say no, get the officers name and badge# “just in case”. If they say yes then proceed with what they tell you.

Remember each state is different.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Good info here guys, I appreciate it. I should mention this is in Iowa on I29 specifically, as I fish the missouri river in SD primarily. Munchy, your info on asking is good, however, usually I’m in a line and there wasn’t any space to pull over. I might call and ask after reading these. My truck and boat fully loaded should be well under 9,250 lbs going off of all specs.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Heck my pickup truck alone wet is 8,000 lbs. I have a 4 ton licence on it. I know I’m over that when I put the topper on it and not to mention a second fat boy like me. then tools in the boxes and when I’m on a trip, well I carry a lot of gear for fishing trips, a boy scout is always prepared ya know.
    Then the tongue weight of my boat,,,,,

bassh8er

I’m in Omaha too and just got back from fishing in Chamberlain. We took I-29 and I didn’t even notice any weigh stations if that makes you feel any better, ha.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I’m in Omaha too and just got back from fishing in Chamberlain. We took I-29 and I didn’t even notice any weigh stations if that makes you feel any better, ha.

To be specific…it was the weigh station near Elk Point, SD on I-29 just north of Sioux City, IA.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you don’t have a truck full of signs just run the scales. They aren’t interested in anybody dragging a boat. If they do chase you down just plead ignorance.
    Do you have a DOT health card? Do you run a log book? How about triangles or flares? No, you aren’t commercial, just run the thing.

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

I do not stop. Given a typical half ton truck with passengers, cargo, etc. is 7000lbs+ and a typical 18 foot aluminum boat is 3000lbs+, there is a lot of non-commercial interstate traffic that exceeds the 10k lb criteria. That many non-commercial vehicles trying to go through a weigh station on a busy summer day (especially in MN) would really plug them up.

I happened to run in to an Iowa Vehicle Enforcement Officer today and asked about needing to stop if over 10k and pulling my boat. His response was that technically I am supposed to stop but if it is obvious that I am not running commercial they would not have an issue with not stopping.

A few months ago I talked to another Iowa VE Officer about non-commercial compliance to GVWR, GCWR, etc. for a pickup/trailer. His basic message was that if your are non-commercial they are not going to mess with your vehicle unless it is obvious you are doing something really stupid (e.g., way over loaded).

Your results may vary.

MNdrifter

A few months ago I talked to another Iowa VE Officer about non-commercial compliance to GVWR, GCWR, etc. for a pickup/trailer. His basic message was that if your are non-commercial they are not going to mess with your vehicle unless it is obvious you are doing something really stupid (e.g., way over loaded).

Until you get in an accident or something happens and lawyers get involved. They will nail your a$$ to the wall even if your not at fault.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

I was at a conference recently where they were discussing this. Apparently if you are running your boat for business, ex a guide or tournament fishing, this is considered commercial. Not only do you need to stop at weigh stations but you also need a CDL to operate. They were telling some war stories about how they were stopping “wrapped” (boats labeled with advertisers) and making them park it because they didn’t have a CDL. There was a specific weight with this also, I can not remember what it was. I think it is one of those gray areas. Like if your going 58 in a 55 mph zone, are you doing anything wrong????? Yes, but you’d probably never get stopped just for that.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I do not stop. Never been a issue. My Lic Plates even say Non-Commercial. Truck and camper alone are over 12K

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190607_194813-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

You would need to be pulling a pretty big rig to need a CDL in MN.
    Over 26,000lbs combined.
    You would need a medical card if single or combined is over 10,000lbs.

I have a lettered Pick-up for work. I always purchase a 3/4 ton because they are typically 10,000 GVW so I do not need anything. When I pull my dump trailer I need my DOT # and a health card. I carry magnetic DOT #’s with me.

A 1 ton is over and would require DOT#’s to be displayed at all times and you would need a medical card.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

BTW –
    It doesn’t matter what you weigh in at (unless you are over) it matters what the vehicles are stamped at.

Adam Steffes

Does any 1ton need a dot # in minnesota? Most 1tons are like 14k gvwr now. My 3/4 ton is 10k. I remember when I was in the market I checked with a dealer in MN who carried only 1ton pickups because of some regulation there but I don’t remember specifics.

Slipbob nick

In mn one other factor on a 1ton is you save on tabs/plates versus a 3/4 ton I believe.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Does any 1ton need a dot # in minnesota? Most 1tons are like 14k gvwr now. My 3/4 ton is 10k. I remember when I was in the market I checked with a dealer in MN who carried only 1ton pickups because of some regulation there but I don’t remember specifics.

Yes, if it is a commercial vehicle “for hire”

In mn one other factor on a 1ton is you save on tabs/plates versus a 3/4 ton I believe.

That is correct, but then if you are “for hire” you would need to comply to DOT Regs with a one ton. That’s kinda where they get you. You are now a commercial vehicle because you are over 10k as a stand alone vehicle.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Yes, if it is a commercial vehicle “for hire”

Slipbob nick wrote:
    That is correct, but then if you are “for hire” you would need to comply to DOT Regs with a one ton. That’s kinda where they get you. You are now a commercial vehicle because you are over 10k as a stand alone vehicle.

In MN 1 tons you have a choice now with your plates. They issue plates as Commercial or Non-Commercial. Its embossed right on the plate in blue letters. It’s still a fixed rate of $125/yr. grin

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you are driving a 1 ton, have Non-Commercial plates and are “for hire” you are a commercial vehicle.

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>thalweg87 wrote:</div>

Until you get in an accident or something happens and lawyers get involved. They will nail your a$$ to the wall even if your not at fault.

I specially bought an “oversized” truck to avoid this potential scenario and I do not condone towing over ratings. However, during my research I was unable to find objective evidence of anyone (non-commercial) being sued/successfully sued for being over manufacturer weight ratings. I could see an elevated chance of being sued if you are significantly over. Iowa VE allows for a +5% tolerance on registered vs actual weight for commercial operators (and 25% for ag related activities) (I could not find confirmation of a similar tolerance for MN or WI). If you were able to find some evidence of successful legal action, I would be interested in the related link(s).

During the conversation with the officer, I specifically brought up the topic of potential legal action – he responded that he had never heard of anyone being sued for GW vs rating. If there were an accident VE would issue a “failure to maintain control” vs over gross weight ticket. He also stated that from a VE perspective for non-commercial use, the GVWR is a manufacturer recommendation, only used to determine what type of CDL/registration is needed and there is no law against being over. There is no GCWR on the door tag so and they would not look it up to find out what it is – when they are interested (e.g., checking someone running commercial) they go by the registered GVWR of the vehicle and GVWR of the trailer.

Granted this info is a sample of one from a single state but it would seem that Motor Vehicle Enforcement would be involved with/aware of such a court case one way or another.

As someone stated above, do not take the word of someone on an internet forum…….. I am just passing on what I have discovered as a reference point. The safe and 100% certain answer is to operate under the manufacturer GVWR and GAWRs.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

My understanding is if the vehicle is rated over 10k you need a DOT number. It is a Federal law I was told. You need a medical card if you travel out of state, commercial, or for hire. My understanding is no CDL if under 26k lbs.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.