Opener and more

• walleyeaddict
    Participant
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

Sorry I am so late to post. Has anyone else noticed that life seems way to busy at times? Anyway…… we (2 boats) started on Cotton on Sat morning in crap weather (cold, windy, rain/sleet)and turned 4 walleyes in deep water(16-20″) We took a break and fished Island for 4 hrs in the evening and 14 netted between the 2 boats (several lost fish and to many missed fish!)fish were all good eating size up to 20″. The reports from the area were spotty. Pelican had some anglers smiling and the Pines turned quality fish (22-27″ers)for several anglers I know.
    Water temps were 49-51 and our fish came from 21-18ft of water. I know that some anglers on a few other lakes did take some shallow fish, however, a big population of shiners have not started to move shallow yet. When we moved shallow we did catch some dandy smallies in the 17-18″ size….11 of them. As of last night the water temp climbed to 58. Weather has been inconsistant. Bite windows have been shortened by the fronts. We currently have thunderstorms and 30-35 mph winds. Weather will improve Monday. the fishing will also.
    PS Big Detroit hosted the Law Enforcement Tourney on Friday 5-20. A total of 50 boats caught 7 walleyes….it will get better!

bill_cadwell
    Participant
    Rochester, Minnesota

Weather will improve Monday. the fishing will also.

Isn’t that aways the case as we are back to work. Thanks for sharing Brad. What techniques seemed to be working the best?
    Thanks, Bill

walleyeaddict
    Participant
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

Hey Bill…glad you asked. The fish were not schooled very tight and as they chased the school of shiners they moved up and down the break as well as moving along the breaks. Bait rigs with a 4ft leader and an active shiner did the trick. With a few that did get in on some shallow fish, casting 1/8 oz jigs tipped with shinners did the trick. On Pine the big fish came out of 32ft of water on 3/8oz chartruse jigs tipped with big fatheads. As the temps get to the upper 50’s the crawler and leech bite will start to go as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.