back to the fishing side!

• thegun
    mn

sitting at the computer tonight playing a online first person shooter game.. Its deer opener but I havent looked at my bow since late last december.

I have not got the itch to hunt yet and didnt really care to go..

As Im playing my game the hours tic by and I start thinking about walking out back and see if there might be a deer livin out there..

I know I passed a couple good buck out back last year and there is a good chance they may still be out there..

I dont even know if I have any arrows. Its about 5:20 and I start thinking about how Ive always wanted to get a buck on opener so I could focus more on fishing in the fall..

I better check see if I got some arrows.

well I manage to scrape 4 miss match arrows and broadheads together and grab the bow..

wearing my T-shirt and blue jeans I start the walk out back.

I make it on stand and its a quarter pass 6.. all my straps on the steps and stand are still intact..

As Im sitting there trying to re familiarize myself with my bow and shooting distances to different trees it starts to rain.. A nice light rain.. I knew this was a great sign since it hasnt rained here since June I think.. not 5 minutes later I hear a few foot steps and look to my left.. And here he come.. walks right in to about 20 yards and gives me a perfect shot..

I take careful aim and let one rip, hitting the deer just behind the front shoulder, he starts running right to me and under my stand and go about 20 yards the otherside of my stand and stops.. as he does this another larger buck comes running from over the ridge behind him and follows him and stops at about 15 yards..

Ok I just hit a great buck, I know I hit him good but he is still standing looking around 20 yards from me and now there is a larger buck standing looking around with a whats going on look on his face at 15 yards..

I nocked another arrow and drew my bow and let one rip hitting my deer right in the spine and dropped him! and I look over and watch the big guy trot away..

sure I could have been that guy.. You know the one you seem to see several pics of him each year holding different deer..

Nope not going to be that guy…

hopefully my daughter can get a crack at him come november..

hope you all have a good season.. Im going Fishing!

TheguN!

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Wow that is awesome! If that’s the “smaller” of the two, I would love to see how big the other one was! Congrats and good luck on the water this fall!

john_steinhauer
    p4

Nice!! Sounds like a action packed short hunt congrats on a nice buck!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You realize most of don’t like you anymore. Congrats!

thegun
    mn

Hey dont hate me just cuz I got lucky..

Ive been bow hunting sice I was 12 Im 37 now and I never have missed a opener.. This is the first year I got a buck opening day!

funny thing is there were lot of years I spent countless hours preseason scouting, putting in food plots, and glassing to pattern deer.. this year I never stepped a foot in the woods since moral season. these deer had no inkling deer season was upon them..

Ill take luck anyday and that old boy will look good on the wall!

abster71
    crawford county WI

Congrats on the deer. But man you sure have some luck if I read everything right that gives bowhunting a bad taste. One should never go to field not shooting their bow and with mismatched arrows. Was that a morning hunt very scary to go to a stand with out checking things out. Don’t want to knock your hunt, but I’m sure those who read have the same thoughts as I do too many things could have gone wrong, I’m glad they didn’t for you. Very nice deer good luck fishing.

thegun
    mn

I agree with ya on most of what ya said.. you should spend more time or at least some time practicing befor heading out.. I checked my stand this spring while picking shrooms and it was good then.. I did check the stand out on my way up! It was my good fortune that everything was still good and didnt have to sit on the ground.

no I didnt shoot my bow before hand and Yes I did have mismatch arrows all of witch had good muzzy heads on them and all were 350 carbon express arrow but had differnt color fletchings and different color shafts..

Guess Im just not the hollywood hunter type.. although i didnt use my bow all year it was kept in a safe place and I had total confidence that it would perform flawlessly as it did! I had complete confidence in my ability to make a clean hit and make a quick kill!

the deer didnt go more than 50 yards from where I first shot it..

If my story give you a bad taste Im not sorry for that!

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures and congrat’s on the quick harvest. Nothing wrong with doing it the easy way. I knew as I read your post that someone would point out the things that they think you did wrong. Some people want to build up a big story and talk about hours and hours of preparation but that isn’t for everyone. And if you have been hunting for years I understand why you could head out feeling confident…..as you said…..back to the fishing side!

abster71
    crawford county WI

Not saying you or others can’t have confidence in shooting, but how can you have confidence in any bow/gun that has sat 9 months without taking a few shots.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I knew as I read your post that someone would point out the things that they think you did wrong.

So your also saying, “as you read” it, some things jumped out at you as wrong ???

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Congrats on a awesome buck!!!
    I hope we get to see pics of your daughter and the bigger buck this Nov. Are you in one of the zones that has the youth season in Oct? Depending on how old she is and what zone you are in she may be able to get a crack at him in Oct. Here is a link with the info.

Deer Hunt – Special Youth Deer season

thegun
    mn

hey steve ya unfortunately she is only 11 so I think she has to wait until next year on the youth hunt! at least that is what I was told..

I have 5 doe tage for the early season hunt south of winona! hunting with a friend in the zone B area!

for you guys that need to point out the things I did wrong! I agree with you to a point!
    Guess I should have put a disclaimer on that!

DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!

Heck im just giddy I got that old bugger! try and be happy for me!

I know the feel of putting in the hours and then watch some scummy SOB walk out blind and get a good buck!

Guess its my year!!

hope some of the luck rubs off on the rest of ya!

stopped tonight on the way home and bought me a new squirrel gun!@ got plenty of time to take the kids out this year

This is going to be a fun year!

good luck!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

hey steve ya unfortunately she is only 11 so I think she has to wait until next year on the youth hunt! at least that is what I was told..

You were told wrong check out page 33 of the reg book under SPECIAL YOUTH DEER SEASON.

Youth age 10–15 may take either-sex deer by firearms Oct. 17–20 in the following areas: 101, 105, 111, 114, 201, 203, 208, 209, 256, 257, 260, 263,264, 267, 268, 338, 339, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 601, and 602.

abster71
    crawford county WI

I’m sure I speak for all of us on IDO we are happy for you or any one that shoots a great deer not taking that away from anyone. I shot a buck of a lifetime last year and only hunted 5 times. If you want to call my response negative it was. And the reason for this is that I believe we owe it to the animals that we will harvest them in a clean and ethical manner. I know it happens when a shot goes bad due to what ever reason. I can or we can accept that as long as the person was tuned to his equipment and did the best to his or her ability. Lets move on and see some more great harvest. OUT.

gobbler
    Central, MN

Congrats on the opening day buck! Gotta love it when you spine them, makes for a real easy track job. Good luck chasing that big boy around his fall.

thegun
    mn

well I had one camera out just outside the pasture and checked it today! I have pics of the big boy that I had to let go!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Wow, what a stud. He has the head gear of a trophy critter for sure. But, his body looks thin and young (3-1/2 year old?) Do you have any idea how old this big boy might be. Either way, congrats on your buck and hopefully a family member gets a crack at this guy.

Hey, I thought you were going fishing…..Quit teasing us with all these great stories and bucks we can’t shoot.

thegun
    mn

im thinking at least 4 1/2 he has a very well defined brisket and front shoulder equally as large as rear! mature deer for sure!

I would be fishing but i ripped my shoulder and have been laid up since sunday! got a cortisone shot monday but hasnt helped a bit yet! I cant even pick up my fishing pole.. I think my luck has run out! LOL!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Congrats on the buck! Those are both very nice deer. Good luck getting your daughter on the big guy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.