What do consider to be a good “brush gun”

• the_grump
    Le Center

Like almost everyone else I always considered a brush gun to be slow and heavy, like a 30/30 or a slug gun.

I personally have never liked the 30/30 for deer hunting. (I know its probably killed more deer than any other gun) But I’ve seen some poor results from a couple that were used in my group.
    This fall while hunting the very thick edge of a swamp, I shot a deer that was moving thru and acted like he was going to bolt before he made a clearing.
    As I had the crosshairs on him I told myself there is a good chance of hitting a branch, but the shot couldn’t wait if I wanted that deer. Well the deer dropped in his tracks and never moved, when I went to check him out I noticed the there was a much larger entrance wound than normal, but still a full pass thru.
    Looking back towards my stand I found I also put a killing shot on a small tree, now thats what I call brush gun performance. My gun, a 7mm Rem mag with a 150 grain Fusion bullet, not exactly slow and heavy.
    Behind and to the right of the first picture you can see where he dropped.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

That is cool! I think I would cut down the tree and hang it in the man cave with the picture next to it. Good conversation piece.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I would think the low weight of a 7mm round is not considered a “brush gun”… more like an odd-6 or 30-30 like you said. The 7mm is a super fast round though! I shoot one as well.

Did you still get full pass-through on the deer?

ap2049

I really enjoy carrying my springfield 30-30. It is a carbine and in bolt action. Has a clip. I shot three deer with it this fall and two fell in their tracks the other went 20 yds. A true brush gun for me requires open sites, and needs to be light wt. All three deer this season were shot at a combined total of 65 yds. Just my $.02.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I remember reading a study a few years back that showed that faster, lighter bullets were actually in most cases deflected less by brush than slow, heavy ones. I will see if I can find it.

Not that it mattered in this case.

joef
    La Crosse, WI

I am forced to shoot slugs because I hunt in MN, obviously range becomes a problem sometimes but I love how well they shoot through brush. Have had problems with brush and .270 while hunting wisconsin. I have killed many deer with a slug shooting through moderate to heavy brush. Over the years I attempt far fewer shots in the thick stuff, but when the range is close I trust a 300 to 440 grain slug to dozer through and get the job done.

Attached a picture of my buddy’s second shot at a doe on a drive, the slug continued through and dropped the doe.

the_grump
    Le Center

That’s some serious carnage!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.