Got a trail camera for Christmas

• mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Is this model any good?

Wife did the best she could with a sales rep help, but she didn’t know if it was a good camera or not. I can exchange it if I want, just wanted some opinions on it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat601139-cat20098&id=0046922417905a&navCount=1&podId=0046922&parentId=cat20098&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I have that same exact camera and I got it for a gift too. Let’s just say that I’m not very happy with the results. Here are the reasons why:

The trigger time is slow – 2.5 seconds which means that sometimes you will not capture the deer in your frame.

It also has poor battery life (4-6 weeks in warm weather) and uses 6 size D batteries so that gets pretty expensive to replace each time.

It also has a 2 second sleep mode after taking the 1st picture which is also really slow.

Picture quality is fair at best and I also got a lot of whiteout pictures.

The camera is only rated down to 32 degrees.

It still uses white flash technology and not IR Flash which sometimes has a tendency to spook game.

If I were you I would return it to Cabelas and consider purchasing a Bushnell Trophy Cam. I just wrote a review on this camera and you can read it HERE

Also, if you do decided to go with the Bushnell Trophy Cam – please let me know because I’m in the process of negotiating a volume discount so everyone here can save some money.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

It was a very nice thought. I don’t think you will be very happy with it. I have one and it is the slowest thing I have ever seen. The good thing is, it doesn’t take very many pictures so the battery life is great. I am not happy with mine at all. I put it on a mineral site and that is it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This looks like a step up from the D40, that I have 2 of. I am very happy with mine ??? Battery life seems to be about 3 months on mine… the deer are typically centered in the shot ???

martysddw
    EC, Wisconsin

I have the same cam also. Takes good pics if they are standing over a corn pile on the golf course behind my house. Otherwise if she doesn’t mind, I would look at others. She’ll enjoy watching you get pictures more too and like the results herself from many other cams.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I too have the D40 Dan and am pleased with it. For the money it’s a “good” camera. Like big G said, looks to be a step up from mine!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.