It was fun catching this today!

• bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Slipsinker was kind enough to invite me out today for some river fishing. We spent most of the day catching some suckers which were definately a lot of fun But it was towards the end of the day when I hooked up a large sturgeon. Slip and I beached the boat and was fishing from shore with his uncle. I chose to stay in the boat so when the sturgeon nailed my line we immediately realized that we need to untie the boat so we would be able to boat this fish. It was definately a good thing He tugged us down the river about a half mile or so and fought us for about 45 minutes. It was all worth it

He weighed in at 48 pounds and about 63 inches long! Thanks again Slip for the Sturgeon Excursion and for helping me bring that beast in!

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Another pic!

shayla

I don’t know what’s more fun, catching one myself or watching that fish kick your butt? By the way, how’s your arms feeling?

Seriously, after all the fish stories I’ve told you about my beloved St. Croix, I’m glad one came true for ya….couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy!

Congrats!

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Well thanks Slip! I do have some ice on my arm right now

Alvin- It wasn’t even upto the banks, but it definately higher than normal. Slip could probably answer that better than I could since this was only my second time down on the Croix.

shayla

“She’s five feet high and rising”

Seriously, the river is back in it’s banks now, flow has slowed and very little debris floating. The section Rocky caught his fish on averages around 5′ and was about 8-10′ today, but down about a foot from just Friday.

I wish he woulda caught that monster on the bass rod I bought from you! That woulda showed him who’s boss.

I gotta admit, in the back of my mind I was praying this fish wouldn’t come unbuttoned, but with some professional coaching, Rocky did a superb job of “taming the beast”

shayla

Just got a friendly reminder that sturgeon are not in season. I want you all to know this was an incidental fish caught while sucker fishing and we are in no way encouraging anyone to go to the Croix and purposely target these fish!!! If you don’t believe me, Rocky has a ton of sucker pics from today to prove it……don’t ask me why, but he does.

Just wanted to clear that up before anybody goes jumping on him, not that we do that on this site……..

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Thanks for mentioning that! We were not targeting sturgeon at all. We were working on the suckers!

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Don’t ask why I took a picture of this…but I did. I don’t like going fishing without the camera

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Quote:

Don’t ask why I took a picture of this…but I did. I don’t like going fishing without the camera

Don’t feel so bad, I am the same way with the camera – ask Fishing Machine

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

The new avatar!!

Great fishing guys. A 45 minute fight

Ron

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice looking fish. That sucker looks like ti had some nince red fins on it. What part of the Croix where you on? Looks like the upper croix somewhere.

jimmys

Nice Fish Rocky! The bait shop would love to have a picture of this monster hanging up but my printers out of ink. If you get a nice photo of this, I would be glad to hang it up.

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Mike-Yeah we caught a lot of suckers with some real red fins. They sure were fun and can put up a nice fight. We caught them on the upper croix like south of Taylor Falls.

Jimmys-If I get a nice photo printed then I will send it to you!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thats some good fishing up there. Hopeing to get over there in the next few weeks.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nice sucker!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.