Trolling Plates?

• baitshopguy13
    Lakeland,MN

i am looking for input about trolling plates good bad ?

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

Take a look in the classifieds under fishing equipment.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

boat control gets challenging. You will want to use your trolling motor to steer.

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

I put on the spring loaded trolling plate on my 115 optimax it did a nice job off slowing the trolling speed but took away from the hole shot and top end over a long period of time spent trolling the motor would carbon up. I solved these problems by buying a kicker and am much happier

finman

Try using a drift sock first- I had a plate and hated it… Steering sucked- two thumbs waay down for me.

Jim Pitzen
    West Lakeland

When I want to slow down, I point my bow mount trolling motor towards the back of the boat and use it to slow the forward speed of my 115 hp. Works great, and you can steer with either motor.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Spend the money..get a kicker…

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I had one put on and it took ~2 to 3 mph off top end speed of my 50 hp yamaha; with a bigger motor might take even more off. Also, slower to get on plane.

Was hard to turn the boat with the plate down as well.

It also added a few inches (maybe not a huge deal) to the overall length of your boat when you store it the garage.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

When I want to slow down, I point my bow mount trolling motor towards the back of the boat and use it to slow the forward speed of my 115 hp. Works great, and you can steer with either motor.

I’ve been doing this for over a year now and it works fantastic. Even if I had a kicker I’d use it as a keel in the front of the boat for better control in the wind.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Drift sock or trolling sock is a better option in my opinion. It will slow you down with better control. And then fine tune it with the bowmount if you have one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.