Cramping

• Weekender
    Participant
    Southcentral MN

In the evenings after a morning of waterfowl hunting I always get SEVERE leg cramps. Not just a minor little calf cramp, but SEVERE hamstring, quad and inner leg cramps! Today is no exception. Worst cramps ever. Hamstrings in both legs, inner leg muscles in both legs and the quad in my left leg…..all were cramping at the same time for a good 30min. An hour later, damn near the same thing for another 30min. An hour after that, pretty much the same thing for another 30min.

I don’t know what to do. I bring water with me. I bring Gatorade with me. I drink lots of it because this is always a problem, but tonight is the worst!

Any suggestions? I’ve heard of pickle juice but that makes me gag and nearly vomit. I’m all ears and open to suggestions.

Tonight is going to be a long, long night.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Have you been to a doc? Seriously, I’d be concerned that something’s out of whack. IDO’s good for a lot of things, but medical advice isn’t one of them.

MnPat1
    Participant

I was able to get rid of cramps altogether by taking a magnesium citrate supplement in pill form. I had terrible cramps after my 2 hour dirt bike hare scramble races. My wife was fighting cramps while marathon training and was recommended magnesium citrate by her doctor. If you are cramping during the workout get more potassium. If you cramp after it’s magnesium. Switch your diet over to include leafy green vegetables and you won’t need supplements.

Deuces
    Participant

Cramping SUCKS, hope you get it figured out.

wave

Kurt Turner
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

FWIW – couple things that have greatly reduced my life of severe cramping.

1 – lots and lots of water. Every day. 60 ounce minimum, daily.

2 – greatly reduced caffeine intake. Caffeine is very efficient at dehydrating our muscles. The benefit here is intertwined with #1. Water can digest more efficiently and work better hydrating if caffeine is absent.

I don’t miss stopping the car on the interstate, pain so excruciating you have to isolate to avoid the drama of being seen crying from the intense pain.

Good luck. Hope you find a regiment that alleviates this pain. One of the worst I’ve experienced.

Gerty
    Participant

I have done 2 things – MnPat1 is correct. Magnesium citrate helps a lot. However, I found that CBD oil helped more than anything else. I take a few drops 2 times a day and very rarely if ever get cramps anymore and mine were all the time.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The first thing I’d do is find out the real source of the cramping at a doctors office, not on an internet fishing web site. It may be something that what’s been suggested can help, but then it may be something circulatory than will only get worse and lead to something you really don’t want.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

water
    bananas
    Daily stretching routine not just during hunting season.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Are leg cramps the same as a charlie horse? I get really bad charlie horses after I’ve been high stepping through grass or snow pheasant hunting for a few hours, usually in my quad or my hamstring. Its unbearable. Its so bad I near the point of passing out and that’s when it goes away. Lately I’ve been able to reduce it by guzzling a ton of water and/or gatorade before and during the hunt.

supercat
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

Many believe bananas are the cure but potatoes are a great in helping with this problem, many do not eat them anymore.

MnPat1
    Participant

Going from couch potato to reasonably athletic does take time. Here are some other things that help me.
    Overwatering can cause cramps also. Drinking to much water can dilute your electrolyte levels. Straight water is not the best way to hydrate. If you must have water drink it with lemons. If you want electrolytes then add a pinch of Himalayan salt. Fruits and vegetables are great for hydration much better than water alone. As said above caffeine and I will also add processed sugars can be a problem.

Bassn Dan
    Participant

Are you hydrating BEFORE you go hunting? If you wait until you’re thirsty to start drinking you are already dehydrated and it’s hard to catch up.

Also maybe try taking an Advil, Aleve, etc. BEFORE you do something that is likely to cause cramping. It has made a world of difference for me to prevent the onset of back spasms, and might work for cramping. Be sure to take it with food to prevent burning your stomach/ulcers. Good luck.

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

I would give up duck hunting if cramped up that bad.

leinieman
    Participant
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I also have bad cramps in quad once in a while. I found that drinking some tonic water helps it go away. Not sure if its just in my head or what but I think the quinine might help. Oh yea plain tonic water no GIN.

Eric Miller
    Participant

Magnesium supplement and a visit to the chiropractor, thats what solved my leg cramps. I use to get the same thing. Darn near dangerous when you’re standing waist or better deep in a cattail slough. Chiropractor figured out due to an old injury I’ve got one leg shorter than the other and it was throwing everything out of wack.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn
    BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Drinking plenty of water beforehand should help, along with a banana or two. The few times I’ve cramped up have been FROM drinking Gatorade, its so full of salt and sugar if you are dehydrated it will lock you up.

FryDog62
    Participant

I get it too – –

Attachments:
    1. 67D96D39-26A2-4F8F-ACC7-2A8A72552056.jpeg

MnPat1
    Participant

Don’t confuse hydration with a magnesium deficiency. Being hydrated helps but will never get rid of cramps caused by magnesium deficiency. Most of you have a magnesium deficiency like the rest of the USA.

Weekender
    Participant
    Southcentral MN

Thanks for all the feedback!!! I’m going to get the magnesium supplement and am eating bananas too. The cramping comes at in the evenings and at night after a day of hunting. I bring 2 of the big Gatorade bottles (filled with water) out hunting with me and drink them while I’m out there. I drink more water when I get home too.

But I’ll give the magnesium and bananas a try. I’ve read similar things as well. Fingers crossed this solves it and if not, then I’ll go visit the doc.

jagermeister
    Participant
    NW Ontario

Drink apple cider vinegar it works for me. take a shot every morning ,yes it tastes terrible but I no longer get leg cramps.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Are you sitting/standing still for hours while duck hunting? Overweight? Smoker? Seems odd it only occurs while duck hunting but I’d be getting that checked out by a doctor. The nurse in me screams blood clot

Doug M
    Participant
    SE SD

Have you tried hydrating before you go out? Athletes usually start hydrating morning of or even night before event. I honestly would be seeing a doctor. If tbro thinks a blood clot is a possibility I wouldn’t be wasting any time ruling that out.

Weekender
    Participant
    Southcentral MN

Are you sitting/standing still for hours while duck hunting? Overweight? Smoker? Seems odd it only occurs while duck hunting but I’d be getting that checked out by a doctor. The nurse in me screams blood clot

Sitting, standing, walking in waders through water, freezing cold. I’ve been getting leg cramps for many years after duck hunting. Deer hunting too….even back in the day where we walked miles and miles of corn fields, waterways, etc.

As for hydrating in the morning before going out, it’s hard to chug a bunch of water at 3:00am. But I drink an 8oz glass of water before leaving the house, then drink coffee and water while out hunting.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I’m more concerned about a blood clot if you’re getting this sudden, severe cramping, especially in one of your calves, after sitting/standing still for several hours. If you’re up and moving throughout the day I doubt its a blood clot. A totally separate nursing concern (worst case scenario) would be a lack of blood supply. The cold would contribute to this. So would an underlying heart issue you may or may not be aware of.

In all likelihood its a dehydration or magnesium/potassium imbalance causing this, like others have mentioned. Like doug said, focus more on hydration especially before and during the hunt vs after. Drinking too much caffeine could be a cause. But its still something I’d chat with your primary about.

Weekender
    Participant
    Southcentral MN

Yeah I did a stress test about a year ago and the results were good. Never get a calf cramp. I don’t know if I’ve ever had a calf cramp. But hamstrings, quads and whatever muscle runs down the inside of your legs…. those cramps I’ve gotten for a good 20yrs and it only happens during hunting season. Never during fishing where I’ll sit for 10hrs or anything else.

I’m guessing its a combo of magnesium, potassium and dehydration. Triple whammy. I’m going to focus on those and see how my next outing goes. If I cramp again, I’ll get in to the doc.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

thats great to hear! I’m glad you’ve been proactive. It sounds like you could use some better base layers + bibs too!! Maybe instead of chugging all water try a body armor, gatorade, or pedialyte to get them electrolytes as well.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.