Copolymer for Jigging Raps ?

• Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Watching Target Walleye Brent is using mono on a MF Elliot good to 1-1/8 for Magnum jigging raps . I posted on Target walleye ,but no response . My set up is a St Croix Rip N Rap 7 ft MF to 7/8 ounce with a Revo Rocket 7.6 to 1 Gen3 spinner . Brent uses that reel with mono , wondering if the copolymer would be a good compromise between mono and braid ? I have always used 10 lb 832 with a flouro leader . So this is all new to me , thanks Don

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have a couple rods rigged with YoZuri Hybrid specially for colder weather. Has just enough extra give, but doesn’t stretch long ke a rubber band and helps with maintaining sensitivity.

acarroline

“Posted on Target Walleye’…didn’t know that was a thing.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I have a couple rods rigged with YoZuri Hybrid specially for colder weather. Has just enough extra give, but doesn’t stretch long ke a rubber band and helps with maintaining sensitivity.

Thats good to know Randy , i would think it would work well . I plan on trying it , i could see the braid being to unforgiving with that MF i have . Heck i have had crappies come unpinned with a 7 Ft MLXF rod with 832 10 lb . Might be onto something here LOL You are the first person on the net to even mention using it that way , at least what i could find . I also have some Yo Zuri Hybrid copolymer old stock , it was not very expensive if i remember , for sure going to try it .

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

“Posted on Target Walleye’…didn’t know that was a thing.

They post on You Tube and Instagram

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Don, ask Milemark_714. It’s his go to when guides start freezing up

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I think Al Lindner is big on using mono when using jigging raps too. I fish A LOT with jigging raps and I been using braid to a swivel and fluoro. never had a problem so its likely a personal preference if you ask me. I recommend a swivel because those glide baits will eff up your mainline.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I think Al Lindner is big on using mono when using jigging raps too. I fish A LOT with jigging raps and I been using braid to a swivel and fluoro. never had a problem so its likely a personal preference if you ask me. I recommend a swivel because those glide baits will eff up your mainline.

Right, Linder uses mono . The argument for mono was the kind of rod being used . A faster rod would have a more limber last couple feet . That would act as the shock absorber in the system keeping fish pinned once they break the surface . So braid to swivel to flouro works fine ,which is what i am doing the same as you Eyeguy I bought a new MF rod designed to run on the heavier end of Jigging rap like the new Magnum 1-1/8 ounce . Being stiffer the last couple feet the mono acts like the shock absorber . Also the drag setting for both set ups need to to be correct . I did have fish come unpinned on what i normally run and that is 10lb 832 Sufix to a floro . I usually had one chance to net , and sometimes they would get enough leverage to come unpinned .Last night i ordered some Izore xxx 10 lb and Yo Zuri 8 lb to try . My way of thinking is the hybrid and copolymer would be a compromise , better than mono cause its not like a rubber band and has some stretch and more sensitivity . I love braid for the hook sets and currently use it almost exclusively . It just intrigued me watching Brett McComis from Target Walleye, encouraging people to try mono . He states in one video the learning curve could take several hours to get the hang of it . Once a person gets it down , he claims walleyes stay pinned way better . He is also using a Revo Rocket with a smokin fast 7.6 to 1 ratio.He clams it allows him to keep constant tension on fish which may run to the boat and for hook sets . Appreciate your thoughts Eyeguy , what is your jigging rap set up ? Thanks Don

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Add P-Line CXX to your list of copolymer lines to try. waytogo

-J.

10klakes

just an fyi -If you commented on an older post the notification can easily get lost, especially if they are getting flooded with notifications from a new post. Brett is super nice, message him directly if you don’t hear back.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

just an fyi -If you commented on an older post the notification can easily get lost, especially if they are getting flooded with notifications from a new post. Brett is super nice, message him directly if you don’t hear back.

10KLAKES thanks for the heads up .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.