Colvill & Hoksila – This Weekend

• dcutler
    Prescott, WI

Does anyone know if either of these boat ramps will be open this weekend?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Does anyone know if either of these boat ramps will be open this weekend?

I’m not a ton of help, but as of Tuesday Hoksila was not open nor did it look like it would be for a while with all the debris. The river is still extremely high and was up into or near that parking lot.

shockers
    Rochester

Dang it. Was wondering the same thing. Bucky, did you happen to also check out Roschen Landing (the one further to the south/downstream) in Lake City?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I doubt Colvill will be open this week.

Bay Point is to open today.

The back channel ramp still has a good amount of water in front of it. It could open tomorrow (Saturday).

MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

The only access currently open in Lake City is the Lake City Marina. I believe their fee to launch is $9/day or $80/season, but I might be a bit off on the numbers. The city began cleaning up the debris from its parks in the last few days and I would assume the boat accesses will be next on the list if the water continues to drop. I will try to remember to post here when the Lake City Accesses open.

I have been monitoring around the lake on a weekly basis because the closure has suspended our ongoing creel twice this spring. Currently Everts, the Lake City Marina, and the farthest east ramp on the dike road to Nelson, WI are the only ones I know are open. Camp Lacupolis may be allowing boats to Launch, but you probably should call ahead. The ramp on the dike road puts you in an area with lots of submerged hazards and fast current near the bridges. Be very careful if you launch there. For that matter a lot of debris, relatively cold water, and high current in some locations remain on the river so care should be taken no matter where you launch.

Stay safe and enjoy your weekend.

shockers
    Rochester

Great info, Nick! Really appreciate you taking the time to update us.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Dang it. Was wondering the same thing. Bucky, did you happen to also check out Roschen Landing (the one further to the south/downstream) in Lake City?

The Lake City Crews are pretty efficient, but the Roschen Landing was a complete mess and the water is still well up into it with wood debris everywhere. I’d think next weekend would probably be the earliest.

The Pickle Factory in Pepin offers a decent moderately high water launch if you’re willing to launch your right just backing in on river rock in the southern corner of their lot with 4wd. I’d think that will be an opportunity within the week. Their cement launches with docks are relatively flat and will be awhile to get to those. Parking is also limited here.

LaCupolis has extremely limited parking (almost non-existent). Do not expect to be allowed to launch there without calling well ahead and confirming that someone is around. This is also quite a ride from here to the head of the lake for anyone intending to fish the upper end.

Nick is spot on about the one accessible Nelson WI area landing. It is gravel, steep, and after the current is really roaring through the trees and bridge areas that funnel water there. I personally wouldn’t launch anything other than an old flat bottom there now and wouldn’t put any boat in there that I wasn’t willing to bump a few trees with (or even submerged signs marking canoe areas).

Everyone is getting the itch to get out, but the river is still only down about a foot or so from its recent crest (which is very very high at 5-6 feet over normal summer levels near most gauges). Use extreme caution if you are even able to find a place to launch. I’ve only been out in a flat bottom mulling around and it’s still a mess. PFD’s and some experience are a complete must. I have not heard of or seen anyone fishing the “Lake” area whatsoever due to all the factors.

MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

As of noon today Baypoint is open with the docks in. Lake City has heavy equipment in working on clearing the parking lot at Roschen. I don’t know what their time frame is, but that is where their crew is working now.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Thanks this is great info,so many times on this site people are just secretive or just plain rude. I’ve been fishing down there for 20 plus years not really any secrets just putting time in and trying things. Once again thanks for the update!!

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

How do things look like for shore fishing P4 tomorrow? Anywhere from Bay Point, train station, Colville down to Point No Point in Frontenac down to Lake City marina or Roschen open? I know many accesses are closed but is water over shoreline riprap and walkways too?

smalls
    Lake City, MN

Roschen appears to be open this morning. 5 rigs out so far.

shockers
    Rochester

Yup. Dock wasn’t in when I drove by. But 4-5 boats in lot.

Hoksila was closed when I drove by.

shockers
    Rochester

Tried Pepin for a few hours yesterday (Sunday). Launched out of Roschen. Dock was not in, but managed to launch ok. Fortunately I brought a pair of waterproof boots. Hoksila appeared to be closed still.

Water obviously still high. Some debris in water, so as others have noted, wear your PFD and be careful.

I didn’t have much luck. Talked to a couple other guys and they weren’t having any luck either. Water temp was about 55 degrees for me.

Good luck and stay safe.

dcutler
    Prescott, WI

Does anyone know what boat ramps will be open on Pepin for Memorial weekend? I know the water level is still really high. Thank you.

smalls
    Lake City, MN

As far as I know everything by Wabasha will be closed. Camp LaCupolis may be open. You would have to contact them. The Lake City marina will be open as a pay ramp. Hok si la should stay open. Roschen may stay open, but some of the parking will be under water. By Red Wing Colvill and the back channel are closed. Bay Point and Everts should be open barring changes from rain tonight.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

How much current does pepin currently have with the high water?

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

How much current does pepin currently have with the high water? [/quote

Current is not an issue on the central part of Pepin .. might be a few floating hazards and keep an eye on the graph, I’m assuming Stockholm rock pier is under the surface and possibly others.

Both lake City ramps were open on Friday, Coville in red wing was under again.. Everts upper ramp is open and big dock is back in the water. Not sure if Baypoint is open.

Good Luck

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.