Classic Cold Front Opener?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

According to forecast, north central MN will experience a 15-17 degree temp drop from Friday to Saturday this week. It’s amazing how it happens almost every year on fishing opener. Anyway will be out regardless but do you think it will affect the bite??

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This time of year a low pressure system like that it not helpful. It will make it more difficult.

In the summertime, the arrival of low pressure is very welcomed as it often creates an aggressive feeding window.

Since its opener, I’ll very likely be going anyways (unless its unsafe with lightning).

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Some of my best openers have been with cold and rain. I think if the fish are post-spawn they don’t have the luxury of being picky or finicky with temp changes.

May have to adjust presentations. But the fish I chase in West Central MN are going to be on the chow.

Walleye Hungry

clouds and wind is all i need. doesnt matter cold front or not for us usually. but if its flat and sunny we might as well head in for a nap

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Theres always active fish somewhere on the lake

lindyrig79

I agree some of the most difficult openers have been calm and sunny.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

Thinking back, most colder openers we’ve caught more little males than anything in West Central MN, 2 weeks later it’s a mix of too big and nice keepers. I’m going into this opener thinking vertical is the key, most seam to drag live bait rigs on these waters, but too much wind might hinder the jigging thought.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Some of my best openers have been with cold and rain. I think if the fish are post-spawn they don’t have the luxury of being picky or finicky with temp changes.

May have to adjust presentations. But the fish I chase in West Central MN are going to be on the chow.

This is exactly the condition we had last year on Cass week after opener. Cold NW wind, but the walleyes didn’t care.

matt

Sounds like the perfect time to fish if ya ask me.Some of the best river fishing I had this early spring was on days when a nasty cold front blew in.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

According to forecast, north central MN will experience a 15-17 degree temp drop from Friday to Saturday this week. It’s amazing how it happens almost every year on fishing opener. Anyway will be out regardless but do you think it will affect the bite??

Where are you getting your weather information? To me it looks like Northern MN will have much more consistent temps than the rest of the state. And will be partly cloudy to partly sunny.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/#page=frt

Michael Best

I am really second guessing my decision to fish Otter Tail this year on opener. It looks very wet on Saturday.
    After looking at this forecast for Baudette maybe I should be going to Lotw.

Attachments:
    1. 87CDA0C9-56F0-45B2-9C30-3832F65C2C20.png

ThunderLund78

Unfortunately the cabin boat is having some issues and is with a mechanic who most likely wont get to it before tomorrow… BUT maybe a blessing in disguise, My buddy and I are switching it up to our kayaks and have some smaller waters that don’t get fished much around the cabin that we’re going to target. And if the winds really whipping, then we’re going to do a river float, probably down a section of the Crow Wing in the Motley/Pillager area. I don’t think there’s a ton of fish in there aside from suckers and other riverine species. But will throw a few casts for pike or smallmouth in the deeper holes and structure.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

For 16 years we have had no problem catching our limit of walleye on opener. I see no reason it wont happen again this year. The weather looks fine where we are going.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Between fishing the Mississippi and rainy and fox River, for walleye half the winter and spring, I’m ready for some bass action. And bass action usually produces our take home walleyes as well

lindyrig79

The revised forecast for my area is now only showing a temp drop of about 10 degrees. Stiff wind out of the east though. Tight lines everyone

Riverrat

I fish crappie mostly on opener, and I think the hot sunny weather we are having now will bring in the fish to the mud flats, and the cooler cloudy weather will keep them there for sat and sunday. A SE wind would be the clincher, as that typically brings me scattered walleye as well. Question is will they bite.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

They’ve dialed back the weekend rain substantially for this part of the state.

Winds will swing around to the East and be stiff, but precipitation and a huge temperature drop shown earlier this week look to be overestimated. …for now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.