Choose my adventure: Where to go?

• Michael Burcusa
    Saint Louis Park

Hi all,

So, about a month ago, I requested time off to do some late season ice fishing. I now have four days free (After work on Friday March 20 through Tuesday March 24). I will be leaving and need to return to the twin cities area, but I am not afraid of a lot of driving. Now, I need to choose a destination. This issue however is that I have all the traditional ice fishing gear except a snowmobile or four-wheeler to get me around on the ice, also, I have not found anyone to join me in this hunt, so I will be doing this solo. Here is what I have thought about so far:

1. LOTW for pre-spawn walleyes (The IDO event is scheduled here for the prior Thurs – Sun)
    2. Lake Winnipeg for pre-spawn walleyes
    3. Devil’s Lake for perch
    4. URL for crappie
    5. Black Hills for trout
    6. Finding a place to hook into my first laker.

Given that I do not have transportation on the ice (unless there are and will continue to be drivable roads for a 4wd crossover-type vehicle or I can find someone that would be willing to give me a lift in return of a small sum). What is the feasibility of any of these options. I would also say that I am not afraid of hiking some distance and camping out on the ice, but I would be pulling a sled full of gear, so if there is a lot of snow/slush, I will not be able to get too far in any sort of hurry.

Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

You can rule out the black hills it’s done for :/

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Post up on the trip swap forum. Might find a partner.

Personally I was hoping to get that as my last weekend out. Was going to go to our cabin in Nisswa but not I’m less sure. Too bad I can’t take a couple days off work or I would be in for an adventure.

The weather may play heavy into any of the above choices. If the warm weather doesn’t turn around hitting a larger lake like URL for crappies may be tough on foot. LOTW for pike or walleye staging outside the river might be an option where you could fish close to shore. I know very little about Lake Winnipeg except the obvious, it’s the farthest north and my have the best ice conditions.

Good luck!

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

Too bad your not closer to MI we would gladly meet up with you and chase some fins.

Michael Burcusa
    Saint Louis Park

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

I am now leaning towards trying to fish for trout and walleye on North and South Lakes up in Cook County (border water, BWCA access points) However, despite all of my attempts, I have been unable to find the topography of North Lake. The Navionics app shows me South Lake, but there is nothing for North Lake. Does anyone know where I can find something that shows depth contours.

On a related note, I have two additional questions about this adventure.
    -Am I able to use an auger on these lakes? It looks like North is only partially in the BWCA.
    -Do I need to get a permit to do winter camping up here?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You should go to Upper Red and bring plenty of Bell’s Two Hearted. tongue

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

You should go to Upper Red and bring plenty of Bell’s Two Hearted. tongue

Hahaha, i love this! i dont live far from Bells and i know a few of the brewers. I would love to bring a significant “care package” of Two-hearted and even some Dragon’s Milk from New Holland, which is also near-by, just so i can come fish up there with you guys. One day i will make it up that way.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

The ice will probably be in extremely poor condition. We just had a van go through in Duluth a few days ago. They’re calling for very warm weather the next 10 days with some rain.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.