Chippewa River fishing

• bigpike

Had a window to get out last night and took advantage. This move payed off! Started out fishing a spring/fall hot spot for me. Basically a big pile of timber on the edge of the river. The walleye were there immediately but allot of snags and allot of short biters stealing my bait. Pretty much non stop action though. Near sun set I moved to a fall spot more known for big fish rather than numbers. Saw fish boiling on the surface as I moved in. Crappies! First three cast’s were two nice crappies and a 20″ walleye. Pitched until I ran out of minnows, switched to crawlers and the fish kept going. The crappies moved up onto a 5′ flat and were pounding everything. Also caught some more slot walleye and shorty’s. Overall the fall bite on the river has kicked into overdrive and this fall might be better than the last few. Water temps are still a balmy 66 but most of the green crap on top of the water is gone.

navtiller
    chippewa falls

long time lurker first time poster… what part of river are you fishing? above or below wissota?

bigpike

Dells Pond…..

bigpike

Shallow water, evening bite still going strong, a couple pictures from Tuesday October 2. All the guys I chatted with on the river were running there boats one last time and putting it away , fished and caught without another boat in sight It’s lonely out there fellas!

bigpike

Uncle Phil came for a visit this weekend and fishing was on the main agenda. We fished the pond and also moved up to the Chippewa Dam below Wissota. I caught my biggest ever crappie up there yesterday at a hair under 14.5″. This fish was a pig. Weather conditions were pretty rough with the wind and cold but the fishing is still warm to even hot at times.

bigpike

Here is something you don’t see every day. These guys were fly fishing for musky out of a home made boat that was more like a boat you see trout fishing on the big rivers out west. These guys were pretty hard core fishing in brutal wind and cold but they certainly were having a good time!

bigpike

Going out to tomorrow in the AM. Last time for awhile as my schedule gets ugly . Hopefully a few nice pics will come. Ice fishing season is coming

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.