Checking Ice With Spud Bar

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

So I was out on a backwater last night with a buddy. I know the ice is getting sketchy, so I had a head lamp, float suit, ice picks, and had my spud bar and a rope in case. When I whacked the spud bar on the ice, it took 8 good thumps before I got through, however, as I was walking and checking, I got to a spot that only took 5 thumps and started wondering how much ice we had. I guess I was wondering what do you all judge as good ice going by spud bar whacks? Four, five? Just curious and I know all ice is different and what not. Thanks!

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

With my chisel, which I keep sharp I know that if I don’t see water in 1 good hit I can safely walk on it. 5 good hits to me sounds like 6+” of ice.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

For me its one and not much cracking around it I feel pretty comfortable.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Spud bars are “so 2021”

Go to the shoreline and throw out some random sized rocks instead.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Go to the shoreline and throw out some random sized rocks instead.

rotflol

I’m more with a one and done with the bar, if it sounds and feels ok I keep walking. However as it gets more sketchy maybe two.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Sounds good! It’s gonna be in the upper 50s the rest of the week, so I’m sure the ice will go soon, but I just wanted to know. Grandpa always said 3 whacks on good ice and he could get a horse, sled, and load of wood across the ice, so I wasn’t overly worried, but I didn’t have a load of wood, a sled, or a horse.

10klakes

I’d say its situational and “one hit fits all” doesn’t always work lol. lot of variables.

But Two good hits in the same spot and no water showing I have at least 4″ based on testing. Weakening late ice and honeycomb are harder to test.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

2 good hits with no water for me to keep walking.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

With my chisel, which I keep sharp I know that if I don’t see water in 1 good hit I can safely walk on it. 5 good hits to me sounds like 6+” of ice.

Same here. My chisel head is about 1.5 inches wide and SHARP. The way I use it I dont worry unless it draws water on one swing.

Charles

4 hits should be around 4-6″.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There’s no absolute whatsoever. I’ve seen spud bars go through 3+” of late ice with one moderate swing on the river chasing perch. The biggest misconception is that “ice” is all equal in it’s makeup and strength at a given thickness. I’ve walked on 2″ of ice that I trusted over 4 or 5″.

With my spud bar if the ice isn’t honeycombed and the recent conditions have been decent…

2 hard swings and no sign of water trickling up a crack and a consistent thud sound = proceed or maybe punch a hole to see if I have vastly underestimate the ice thickness.

2 hard swings and a questionable sound or any sign of water and I’m going back the way I came and thinking of a different direction to get where I’m going

1 hard swing and there’s any sign of water and I realize my boxers will never be the same as I GTFO calmly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.