How do I change my Display Name?

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Your Display Name (also labeled Full Name) is the name that will appear around the In-Depth Outdoors Community alongside your Forum posts, uploaded images, group discussions, and comments. You can manage what is displayed from your Profile page.

The name you choose can be any combination of letters and numbers, but DOES NOT need to be you REAL name. Some Pro Staffers and guides use their real names to make them easier to identify on the site, but feel free to use a nickname or your user handle.

1. On your profile page, navigate to the Profile tab and click the Edit link. The Full Name field is what displays across the IDO Community as your name.

profile display name update

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

I’m unable to edit my display name from “corey-rhymer”, to simply “Corey Rhymer”…

By the way, this new site is insane!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Same here. When I click edit, it goes to the home page. However, I can change the avatar with no issue

apuncochar
    Minnesota

Hey @corey-rhymer and @rand_wieland

Are you still having this issue? We tried to debug it in a couple test account and we were able to adjust the field labeled Full Name.

Just to confirm, you are seeing the View • Edit • Change Avatar links under the profile tab like the above image.

Thanks for alerting us to this bug!

apuncochar
    Minnesota

This issue should be resolved now. The process is the same as detailed above, just changed some permission settings.

Let us know if you are having any other issues with this task.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Bump to the top.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

This is January 7th 2016 I just tried to change my full name in the profile editing screen and I could type in the new name but it didn’t change what displays on my posts.Is there another bug on the system? Thanks for checking. I’ll watch for your reply.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Test post – My name didn’t change either – may take a while for the server to burp

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Jerry,

I’ll have uncle @justdave take a looky see.

I will normally take a while for it to change…like a day.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

will normally take a while for it to change…like a day.

Exactly, the database appears to be set up on scheduled update periods. I went through the same anguish when I first signed up. It will eventually change.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

The cache invalidation of the current software isn’t the best. Your username is updated in the database but cache still showed the old data. I just flushed cache so your changes will show.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks for your efforts guys but I’m trying to change my name that shows with my avatar from Jerry-Ho to Jerry Hochhausen. I went to my profile and selected edit. In the field for your full name I have entered Jerry Hochhausen and clicked save changes. Nothing has changed. Did I do something wrong?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Thanks for your efforts guys but I’m trying to change my name that shows with my avatar from Jerry-Ho to Jerry Hochhausen. I went to my profile and selected edit. In the field for your full name I have entered Jerry Hochhausen and clicked save changes. Nothing has changed. Did I do something wrong?

Jerry, I kind of liked, Jerry the fish Ho. LOL!

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks for fixing whatever was wrong guys. Oh and SuperDave1959 some of my friends call me “Catfish Jerry”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Could have been Sturgeon Jerry. ;)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Bump, for some of the new members who have a user name in messages, but real name shows up on posts.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

Another bump – I changed the “Full Name” to “Display Name”. The majority of new users seem to prefer aliases over their real names. Also, I updated the code to clear out the cached profile data when you make a change. Now your changes should show right away to logged in members. For guests pages are cached statically for an hour.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks for making life on Ido easier Dave!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

To the top.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.