CCI Quiet bullets

• Jimmy Jones

I was looking for something quieter than the pellet rifle a while ago and came across these LR quiet rounds by CCI and bought a couple boxes along with a couple trays of CCI .22 Short CB shells. I have a Ruger American .22 and I’ve been tinkering with these shells and they are very quiet indeed, way more so than the .22 pellet rifle. The cb shorts are just a tad wild on paper at 22 yards with the average group of 10 shots at around an inch. The quiet rounds are very tight at about 1/2″ at 22 yards with 10 rounds. Sound-wise, they are both about as quiet as a guy could ask for. About like softly snapping one’s fingers. That pellet gun is a solid crack.

I’ve got the gun set to shoot about an inch high at the 22 yards so it should be golden at about 40 with the quiet rounds which is my longest poke. The quiet rounds have a hollow point 36 grain bullet that is designed to fracture into three sections on impact…. really good on crows, squirrels and rabbits. Red Squirrels are often retrieved in chunks and crows make a nice black halo of feathers.

I like to shoot and running to the gun club I’m a member of is about 60 miles round trip and an hour of time. I can set up a doubled 2X12 target backer against a wood fence and set up a table in the garage and get the 22 yards in about 5 minutes. The bullets do not penetrate the single facing 2X12, but I like the backing of the second to be sure. I can have all the doors open for light and shoot away and nobody on the bike path or the sidewalk, maybe 40 yards, can even hear the gun go off. The bullets are a bit pricey at about $10/50 shells but that’s not bad in this world today. I’m finding myself enjoying a little target session about every week.

I’m finding that these new age bullets are the cat’s meow for controlling pest critters better than the pellet rifle especially if sound is an issue. If you’re worried about taking a poke at a nuisance critter with the pellet rifle because of the crack they make, check out these CCI shells. I’m loving the things.

robby
    Quad Cities

If you want even quieter, pull a water balloon over the end of your barrel. Obviously only good for 1 shot, but you can about hear the hammer strike. Does not effect accuracy much if any.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

My dad has been using these for a couple of years now and I admit, our houses are the same distance as they’ve always been (I’m across the road!), but I don’t hear him shoot unless he grabs the 410. I have every intention of getting a new 22lr with a threaded barrel and putting a shoosher on it. Those “Quiet” rounds will be “Click” rounds!

Jimmy Jones

They’re already about a “click”.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Click, and about click, aren’t quite the same. I’ve heard ’em… there’s room to quiet further.

Jimmy Jones

I don’t know what you’re shooting them out of but in my Ruger American, 24″ barrel, they can’t imagine them getting any quieter.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You might as well go all the way CCI Quiet with a Suppressor. Watch full video to hear the difference between with a suppressor and without at the end of the video :

Jimmy Jones

That’s not the quiet rounds I am using. Mine are way quieter than anything he showed in the video clip. The CCI Quiet bullets are copper plated, not plain lead. What I hear is basically the hammer hitting the firing pin.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The CCI Quiet travels at 710 FPS. That is about the lowest speed out there on Subsonic rounds. most others are in the 900-1100 FPS range. I’m sure the 710 FPS is what makes them even quieter than other subsonic rounds. Reading some reviews on it, most if not all semi auto’s are having problems cycling the round. Not a factor in bolts or Lever action guns. At 710 FPS. A suppressor most likely will make almost no difference in the sound. The decibel rating on the ammo is 68. That is lower than most other Sub sonic ammo even when using a suppressor.

tswoboda

That’s not the quiet rounds I am using. Mine are way quieter than anything he showed in the video clip. The CCI Quiet bullets are copper plated, not plain lead. What I hear is basically the hammer hitting the firing pin.

He is shooting the CCI Quiet in that youtube video. Looks like it’s the “semi-auto” version though, which is slightly faster, and likely louder.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

He is shooting the CCI Quiet in that youtube video

I’m not sure he identified the brand. Think he just said Sub sonic. I doubt the CCI Quiet would cycle in either of the guns he used. Not at the amount of powder in it

tswoboda

I’m not sure he identified the brand. Think he just said Sub sonic. I doubt the CCI Quiet would cycle in either of the guns he used. Not at the amount of powder in it

Here’s the follow up video he posted in the comments

Jimmy Jones

I have the regular sub-sonics as well and they are louder…. about like a standard .22 short, if that loud. The quiet rounds that I have are super, super quiet and yes, 710fps velocity. Not that I pay much attention to what they say, I have neighbors that seem to have ultra hearing and can jaw at me when I do a bottle rocket for crows or even send a pellet out of the rifle. They have no clue I may have just shot a squirrel off a bird feeder with a quiet round even if they’re standing outside. This I know first hand. My pellet rifle has a crack about like a .22 standard short round, so these quiet rounds, not the sub-sonic quiet as seen here, make using the regular rifle with the quiet round a lot more agreeable neighbor-wise. Then too I have a park and bike path right off my back yard too and people 100 yards away can hear the pellet rifle, even over the noise the stream makes. If anyone wants quiet, then get the regular quiet rounds, not those sub-sonic ones. The sub-sonics I found to be not real accurate.

The neighbor across the street has 5 major-league sized Black Walnut trees in his yard and has squirrel issues big time. I got him on the quiet rounds and he’s been a happy camper since. His immediate neighbors never even know that he may have fired a shot, just like my neighbors.

I have CB caps too and they are very noise-free. I use these for close up shots.

I know its been talked about before here at IDO, that there is a huge disparity between the different .22 LR ammos on today’s market. In my Ruger American Federal’s Target Golds are the absolute most accurate 50 yard bullet I can find. Next in like is the Aguila .22 LR standard velocity, hollow points. Then CCI Mini-Mag solids. All of these three will print about 1/2″ ten shot groups at 50 yards with the Federals doing around 3/8″. I have several other CCI and Remington and Winchester ammunitions, plus other off-brands, maybe 16-18 different brands that have varying degrees of accuracy and I just don’t shoot so I’m saving those for the great grandson who just turned 7 and I think is about ready to carry an empty bb gun to learn some basic gun handling. when he’s versed in handling I’m sure his dad will add some bbs, then possibly do a sit-down with a .22 at the rifle range and a snap cap before loading live. When they go live they’ll have a mess of ammo to burn thru.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

That’ll be a fun day!

Funny that you should talk about the disparity out there now… when I was a kid, my Remington 582 didn’t care what brand it was, but it seemed to prefer the copper jackets for tighter groups/consistent kill shots. These days, Winchester rounds are hit or miss for me, but the Federals are holding up.

I have this super cheap, ultra-dirty ammo I bought on a clearance a few years ago (Maxx Tech) for $.0178/round (so I bought 10,000 rounds). It’s so dirty, I won’t put it in a quality rifle. However, I have this Rossi Gallery Gun that doesn’t seem to care about that at all and I can group 1/2″ at 25yds, hi-vis sights. The gun itself… there’s not a single feature I like compared to something else, but the dumb thing shoots that dirty ammo so well I save it for helping me clear high, damaged branches that just need to come down.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.