Winter Blue Catfishin

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I don’t know exactly what it is but I have been trying to escape winter. In my boycott of ice fishing I decided now would be a good time for a cool road trip down south somewhere. So my dad and I took an extended weekend and headed to Truman Dam, MO where you can still fish with the long rod and winter fishing for Blues is a big fish season to chase them.

Winter decided to follow me though as the temps dropped at the point of my destination. The cold front did make for some tough fishing but I did manage my Blue Cat lifer.

The nice thing about hiring a guide is that many times you’re able to use equipment much better than your own. Some might say that hiring a guide is like putting an astericks next to your name as if you are some sort of cheater in the sport of fishing. As a “Student” of fishing, I say it makes you a better fisherman.

The SeaArk Machine

Our guide, Steve Brown helped design this actual boat and it is specifically designed for the Catfisherman/woman.

With 2 propane heaters running and the canopy, it made for a very pleasant ride to each catfish hole.

The Blue Catfish

The fishing was tough but we did manage to catch 8 of them; 4 eaters and 4 in the 20 lb. class.

Let’s make that a double.

A different way to skin a Cat

I learned a new way to skin a cat too.

First of all, you need to bleed the fish out. When you cut the tails off and let them hang it is just like opening up the cork and they bleed out quite well.

The first cut is the tail filet.

The second cut is the backstrap cut.

Steve’s Man Cave

I always like to see the decor of other fishermen. Here was Steve’s.

His living room included this 71 lb. Blue Cat replica mount.

Then on the other side of the fireplace was this 65 lb. Flathead replica.

The kitchen has an old boat and tackle above it.

And then top it off with some local custom art.

The Guest Quarters

Roland Martin’s bedroom when visiting.

Check out the treble hook curtain hangers.

A nice Wiper replica mount.

Other sights along the way back home

In a town by the name of, “Tightwad, MO” I found the name on this bank to be humorous.

And then I took a last chance at a Pallid lifer on the banks of the Missouri River.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Seldom does a person see a mounted flat.

Wishin I was fishin!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

cool post I got gas in Tightwad, did it on credit card so I could prove to the wife that I was there, very neat area.

stuart
    Mn.

Nice!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

As always, great stuff C&B!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Finally someone other than me that knows how to clean a catfish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Finally someone other than me that knows how to clean a catfish.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

nice!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hmmmm, how many miles from the Twin Cities?

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

USA, Asia, wherever, your posts rock CB

That boat looks nice, imagine that would be slick on pool 4 about now

dr._flathead

Look at all of them delicious Catfish Safari Rods!

Steve seems to be a great guy…I talked to him for about 45 min the other week….

That would be a very fun trip!!!

mstrumar

Quote:

Wishin I was fishin!

x1500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I learned more this past year by hiring three different guides, had great fun with all and I would highly recomend it to anyone else.

That trip there looks like it could go on the bucket list.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Hmmmm, how many miles from the Twin Cities?

You know it was all done in a 3 and half day weekend and it is a great trip for someone on a budget. If you have someone to split the costs with, it can be affordable.

Take a car to keep the gas prices down and lodging will cost about $60/ night. Food is your next biggest expense. We took sandwich meat & bread for lunches for the 3 days. Breakfast was sometimes provided at hotel and we ate out for dinners.

I would highly recommend it. And don’t forget your poles because there is some great shore fishing opportunities at Truman Dam.

Moores Bait

I had the chance to fish with him a few years back with his old boat. Had a great time, and he does supply lodging at his home with breakfast supplied which was no coffee, bagle, and orange juice affair.

As for distance, about a two hour drive southeast of Kansas City. This would be the season for them, they seem to catch more between now and March. Since I don’t have the time, I will wait a few months and bother our local guide Brian K.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bob, we need to get that date nailed down. The calendar is filling up!

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Great Post, C&B. What are those long wooden posts that he is carrying on the side of the boat?

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Great Post, C&B. What are those long wooden posts that he is carrying on the side of the boat?

I’m glad someone noticed. I forgot to mention them but they are what he uses for anchors. He simply presses them into the mud and ties the boat off to them with a bungy. I think an anchor would do the same thing but Steve claims that the boat swings less with the poles.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I’m glad someone noticed. I forgot to mention them but they are what he uses for anchors. He simply presses them into the mud and ties the boat off to them with a bungy. I think an anchor would do the same thing but Steve claims that the boat swings less with the poles.

That is very interesting, C&B. I’ve seen a similar setup used on a cat fishing pontoon for anchoring. This guy used long aluminum poles (the kind of top aluminum pipes used on chain link fences) that he stuck into the sand after running them through brackets on the pontoon. He did it for the same reason – to keep the boat from swinging in the wind. They only work in fairly shallow water but they seem to work pretty good. I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing in a few of my shallow water locations. Trouble is you could get a big fish to tangle up in one when it is near the boat but I guess you could just pull the pole fairly easinly. You guys didn’t have any trouble handling fish around the anchor poles did you?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

One question Steve. What happened in 2009? (KOTC)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The Twins had an off year.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

One question Steve. What happened in 2009? (KOTC)

In 2009 I finished in 6th place on the Channel Board and the Flathead Board. Only the top 5 make the King in each Division. I missed the Channel Cat by 1/2 inch and the Flat by 2 inches. I had a really good year in 2009 but not enough to earn a crown – it was a fun year on the KOTC board though. It is a great contest and a lot of fun – it makes me get out there and fish my buttocks off. I love the competition of it. I’m going to nail it this year.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

You guys didn’t have any trouble handling fish around the anchor poles did you?

Our biggest was only in the 25 lb. range so it really wasn’t an issue for us. Steve seemed to like the pole anchoring idea. I’m not sure I liked it enough to change though. Steve really struggled to get the poles out in one of the mucky spots he stuck them in.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.