lead sources

• thebigd25
    st. paul

I stopped by Kirschbaum Krupp today and was informed they no longer sell lead to the public. Any sinker makers on here know of another place that sells scrap?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

From my experiences of pouring jigs and sinkers… if you are pouring sinkers, you can get by with using wheel weights,just keep in mind the wheel weights contain more bi-products and require a higher temp to pour smoothly.

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I’m not from the cities, but I get mine from a plumbing wholesale house. The have 5 lb. ingots. Some times they give me lead flashing that has been damaged. You may ask a wholesaler in your area

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Call some roofing companies, when they do reroofs they update to vinyl and take the old lead plumbing vent caps off, they usually have some laying around. Plumbing repair companies also update and pull the old lead drain p-traps and pipes out.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Gopher plumbing supply and star supply are 2 companies that sell to the general public in st paul. Park plumbing supply sells in MPLS.

My lead supply is getting pretty low since not working in the city any more.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

You can use tire weights if you put an old candle or other wax in with the lead when you are ready to pour. Acts as a flux.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

You can use tire weights if you put an old candle or other wax in with the lead when you are ready to pour. Acts as a flux.

The square blocks of canning wax works well, especially if your doing a lot of it.

Wheel weights is what I’ve used for years with both bullets and fishing weights.

I have a set up to smelt wheel weights down to ingots and a exhaust fan if someone near Mpls wants to get together and maybe swap differents weights/jigs.

Be very careful with this stuff, it does cause lead poisioning if treated wrong, exhaust fans, washing hands and clothes when done and becareful of the melted lead, not only does it burn the skin, it sticks to it which makes it even worse, eye protection is a good idea also.

And do not get water and melted lead together.

Al

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Kind of like getting water in the bacon grease? Only worse?

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Kind of like getting water in the bacon grease? Only worse?

Much worse, the lead will stick to you and just keep burning skin till it cools, then ya get to pick it off..that’s lots of fun too..

Al

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.