The one that got away…and then some!

• blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Hey all!

I’ve been pretty quiet around here lately, but I thought I’d take the time to share a very heart-breaking experience I’ve endured recently.

On Monday evening I decided to head down to a shore fishing spot close to home on the Mississippi to soak some cut shad for an hour or two and see what might happen. The water was flat calm with virtually no current and it just seemed like a good evening to give ‘er a go, ya know?

Well, I got to the river around 7:15 pm and selected an open spot on the dock. Baited up my 8′ King Kat rod/Abu 6500 C3 combo with half a shad and casted downstream a ways. After 30-40 minutes of watching a few random pecks and nibbles at my bait, I reel up, rebait with a small whole shad and cast about 25′ directly in front of the dock. I then wedged my rod handle into a 5-gallon pail full of junk, engaged the spool and tightened the line, and leaned the rod against the dock railing. After about 10 minutes of watching the rod intently, I decided to drain the shad juice out of my bait bucket.

I had thoughtlessly turned my back on my rod for about a minute, no more than 18 inches away from it and poured the shad juice into the river. When I finally turned around, bait bucket in hand, I was extremely surprised to see that my King Kat rod was loaded up and bent double over the railing. Needless to say, the 4/0 Gamakatsu circle hook had done its job. In the split second it took to drop the bait bucket and lunge for the rod, my makeshift rod holder failed and the rod catapulted over the railing, catching some air before landing in the river about 5 feet in front of the dock! There it sat, just out of arms reach floating in the water. I yelled anxiously at my girlfriend’s 13 year old son to bring me his rod so I can try to snag it before it sank, but it was too late. The rod had only floated in the water for a second or two before it took off like a water skier pulled by a power boat. Apparently, the fish was still hooked and decided to make a run for it, dragging my rod briefly across the surface before it finally submerged out of view, and ultimately out of reach

I tried to snag my rig for little over an hour that night and then returned that morning and tried again, but I’m afraid she’s gone for good. I didn’t even get a chance to say good-bye

And I still can’t help but wonder…how big was that mystery fish that stole my rod and reel from me?

As much as I would love to believe that it was the next state record channel cat, chances are it was probably a little 5 lb’r or a shad-loving carp

Sorry for the long post, but I’m sure there’s a lesson in there or somethin’

evileye
    Milan Il

Wow! sorry you lost your rod ,I think there is a lesson there…Cat guys are just not lucky guys Two words come to mind Wall eye

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Two words come to mind Wall eye

Is it because there not tough enough to pull a fishing rod into the river

Sorry for your misfortune, just held a moment of silence in honor of your loss

If it helps any, I know the feeling

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Dang that sucks! But on the bright side atleast you have a good excuse to by a new toy!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sorry for your loss Manny. So is it disengaging and using the clicker from now on? You can borrow my reel. The good Lord knows it could use some exercise.

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Man dude that sucks! I feel for ya Manny. Maybe put a picture of it on milk jugs and in Walmart and stuff.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Manny, you didn’t happen to get that on video tape did you? It would be a good sequel to the Manny Slap video on America’s Funniest!

Sorry, I too will stop posting for one minute in respect for a fallen comrod (sp?)

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Hey guys, no worries! Thanks for the sympathy

I know I’m not the first guy to lose a rod to a fish and I won’t be the last. It’s one of those things that you hear about happening to other fishermen and say, ” that won’t ever happen to me” and then when it does, you’re just left in a state of shock and disbelief. I’ve moved through the grieving process rather swiftly and I’ve already come to the acceptance phase. Life goes on…I will fish again, someday {*insert smiley with distant, hopeful look in its eyes*}

Wish it could’ve been captured on video. I can’t help but chuckle to myself when I think about the whole ordeal.

First the “Manny slap” and now this

I guess the fish gods want to keep Ol’ Manny in check. Can’t wait to see what they might have in store for me next season! Stay tuned…

rushing
    Mn

Sorry to hear Manny!

I have never had it happen to me or anyone else personally but I have seen many acrobatic dives to save rods from disappearing into the water. Its pretty funny if the rod isn’t lost and requires lots of .

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Did it have a cork handle? If so, some guy downstream is going have the ultimate ‘ground score’ in a couple days..

If I see your pole up in North Minneapolis, I’ll give it back to you. That totally sucks.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

It sounds like time to take revenge and head out fishing.. eat one of the culprits cousins for revenge!

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

That sucks. Sorry to hear that Manny.. Reminds me of the horror story of when my buddy’s nice set up got pulled into P1 probably 8 years ago or so. We tried for a long time to snag that rod but came up empty. We always wondered what pulled it in. Like you said, you want to believe it was huge but it was more than likely a 5 lb. channel.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So that’s 2 poles? First Guru and now Manny? Anyone else want to fess up?

larry_haugh
    MN

I almost lost one. Thanks to DTRO’s quick lasso work he snagged his line around my reel. It was work getting it back. I’m thankful that the fish let it go. Or It would have been deep sixed.
    Shamu lost his earlier this year on the MN. Dtro and I were there to witness. If it had been a little later I would have jumped for it.
    Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve gotten wet chasing down a rod.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I almost lost a rod I just built a few nights ago when my fishing partner casted it out of the boat

The oversized cork handle kept it floating.. We were lucky and the line that hooked it was still connected to it. No harm done.. it was fun seeing the panic on his face!

The rod that the musky shot out of the boat earlier this year that my son caught also stayed floating for about 30 seconds or more. I guess there is something good about oversize cork handles?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Manny…I was thinking….

You might want to attach a Folbe to a bucket.

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Manny…I was thinking….

You might want to attach a Folbe to a bucket.

Funny…after all the great reports I’ve been reading about how well the Folbes perform, I was already thinking the same thing!

Great minds think alike

alan34
    MN

I can relate to your experience. I was out fishing earlier this year with dtro and Larry. Dtro had just hooked a 39 lb flat and I netted it for him. This was at about midnight and we had just gotten it in the boat and Larry was video taping the catch. You could see the rod in the video and Larry turned off the video and I hear a clunking noise and splash behind me and I turned around and all I saw was my brand new Abu 6500c going under the water. I thought for just one second that I should have jumped in for it but I had my cell phone and camera in my pocket and the river was running vary fast and high. It was a shame that it happened but it did and now we will never know what we had on the other end of our rods. I was vary bumbed. But I got over it and so will you.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.