Anyone Using Side Scan?

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I’m up for a new sonar system and am considering Lowrance’s Side Scan imaging. Other than the huge cost I’m concerned that the large transducer will end up catching on a log and breaking. Those things alone are over 200$. I figure I could rig it to kick up on a direct frontal hit, but still…
    The ability to cover water and find objects would be seriously awsome though…any opinions?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I’m up for a new sonar system and am considering Lowrance’s Side Scan imaging. Other than the huge cost I’m concerned that the large transducer will end up catching on a log and breaking. Those things alone are over 200$. I figure I could rig it to kick up on a direct frontal hit, but still…
    The ability to cover water and find objects would be seriously awsome though…any opinions?

You cannot use the side imaging at high speed anyhow. Spend the extra $75 and get a regular ducer that is set for running. Then put the side imaging up higher. Of course this was done with humminbird.

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

X2. The SS transducer can be set up high so it is only in the water at slow speed, above the bottom of the boat. The SS transducer mount bracket also has a kick up on it to help if you should hit something. So far, I haven’t. But it must be close to the 200/83 transducer for DI and sonar to work property. Go to Lowrance site and look at the LSS installation instructions.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I added the StructureScan this last spring Dirk.

So far knock on wood, I haven’t had a problem with the transducer.

As far as flathead finding, I’m undecided. As far as underwater structure that holds flatheads? I give it a 10.

You will find spots that you’ve boated over for years that has the type of structure that holds flats. With a little practice, there might as well be a sign in the river saying cold water channel cat…HERE!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Thanks for the info. I guess I didnt realize there were two seperate tranducers. Still not sure if i can dish out that much coin for side scan, I may have to do with just down scan….I’ve got a couple moths to think about it.

stuart
    Mn.

I installed the side scan this past summer.(BIRD)You can find undercuts,logs,rocks, holes and timber under water that you would miss with just DI.I only have one summer of expeiriance with it but believe it has helped in finding new to me water for flatheads.
    My side scan ducer kicks out at 15mph and goes to the 2nd ducer.
    Most replacements are expensive if you ask me.I have broke one in the last 20 years and I go where I want in order to fish but try to go easy in the rocks and timber.
    You need side scan if you can swing it,if not you will always be wishing you had.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

With Lowrance you can buy the HDS unit ,which is a great depth finder,then when you can afford it you can add a side scan to it. then new HDS touch sreen units come with SS I believe!
    Stan

mudcatkid
    On water

Hey Dirk!

I’ve been running a Humminbird 898 since summer 2010. As with every person contemplating purchasing a side scan unit – be it Lowrance or Humminbird – I was on the fence for quite a bit, but decided to bite the bullet and fork out the extra money. I’m not much of a technology guru like some fisherman; in fact I am usually the complete opposite. However, I was fully aware of the advantages that side scan sonar had over standard 2D sonar and knew it would be a worthy investment for me. I too was worried about the transducer getting damaged. And at a $200+ replacement cost it is a legitimate concern to have! I can’t speak for Lowrance but the Humminbirds have a “break-away” style transducer that allows the transducer to pivot upward should you drive over a log. I’ve had my 18’ boat hung up on logs/trees plenty times and had the transducer pushed up 90 degrees with no real problems or breaks. Of course high speed impacts will do damage. Sidescan transducers are much more “finicky” than a plain 2D sonar. Small adjustments can make a big differene. The errors and angles are exacerbated the further from the boat you are scanning. When mine gets bumped and is not sitting perfect there are subtle tell-tale signs in the readout that give me an indication to reach down and readjust.

I should mention that I have 2 tranducers mounted on my transom – my old HB style and the new HB sidescan transducer. Despite being mounted only inches apart, I have busted off the old HB transducer from the mounting bracket numerous times and the sidescan transducer is still holding on firmly. As I stated before, HB uses a kick-up style transducer that is designed to pivot upward when hit – this is because the transducer itself does not have the “teeth” that are usually present on the old style tranducers used to set the transducer angle. Instead, the sidescan transducer stays in place with simple toothed washers. I suppose over time the transducer will become loose. At that point I think I can just purchase a new mounting bracket (~$15?).

The only downside to purchasing a sidescan unit is the obvious cost.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.