Hillbilly handfishing

• katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Obviously pretty cool show and all because it’s about catfish but one thing that really bothers me is when the guy says the weight of these fish. I mean whatever wieght you would think the catfish is, add 200 lbs to that and that would be the weight he would say
    I mean honestly the One he said is 70 was more like 40 and the one he said was 65 was more like 35. Isn’t tv supposed to make the fish look bigger not smAller
    Whatever helps him sleep at night though I guess right.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Obviously pretty cool show and all because it’s about catfish but one thing that really bothers me is when the guy says the weight of these fish. I mean whatever wieght you would think the catfish is, add 200 lbs to that and that would be the weight he would say

I mean honestly the One he said is 70 was more like 40 and the one he said was 65 was more like 35. Isn’t tv supposed to make the fish look bigger not smAller

Whatever helps him sleep at night though I guess right.

I thought the SAME EXACT THING last night as I was watching it. They pulled out a nice 3-4lb channel and the announcer goes “and — just pulled out an 8lb channel catfish” I said “Bull **it” right to the TV. Double the size you think it is, and that is what they say. They pulled out a big one, I thought to myself that’s a nice 5-6lber, and they said it was 12lbs.

I think they weigh their fish by standing on a bathroom scale, then forgot to subtract their weight Oh wait no that cant be it, each fish would weigh 600lbs then

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I know “things” are different down South, but has anyone ever thought about why those fish are in those holes and what happens to the fry when they are taken from their nests?

Maybe I’m just overly sensitive.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Heres a link to funny one. Doubt either one of these hit 10 lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrqyKH4ipGY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I thought the same thing watching the show the other day and told Michelle they are full of you know what with those weights. But the show is so boring, I guess they need to over estimate the fish.

You will also notice after each fish they like to take them on the rope and have the person let go so they can have the fish splash around on the surface. They then make some choppy edits to make it look more chaotic than it really is.

This show won’t survive much longer unless they hire WWF (I am old) wrestlers as fake clients and have some fake controversy and rivalries. They should probably hire the little people pro wrestlers, because the big wrestlers would really make the fish look small.

Once you’ve seen on segment or one show, you have seen them all. Boring.

herb
    6ft under

The male fish are fertilizing the eggs and protecting them. Not the fry. Generally they are removing the male/protector before the eggs have a chance to hatch leaving the nest to other predator fish to feed on it. Most of those holes are planted drums, water heaters and whatever else a cat will go into to make a nest for egg laying.
    But when it’s all said and done, the fish population must be doing ok since the DNR hasn’t stepped in to make changes.
    We are still catching channels with eggs and males with their dark spawn color down this way.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I watched a bit of that show the other night and basically laughed my [censored] off. This is comedy of a different stripe. “Another monster on the stringer” I guess they don’t know how educated many of us cat anglers are. I wonder what the cat guys down south think of their show.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The guesstimate thing I take with a grain of salt….consider the source. We were coming home from southern Missouri shortly after the 911 system was put in place and raod/street names were required. We decided to get off the interstate and settled on Hiway 63 about mid-state. Just south of the Iowa border we came across a road sign who’s road name was “Hog Trough Hollow”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

The male fish are fertilizing the eggs and protecting them. Not the fry. Generally they are removing the male/protector before the eggs have a chance to hatch leaving the nest to other predator fish to feed on it.

Thanks for the correction Herb. Ends up being the same though.

MO closed it’s noodling season, then opened by permit only for 5 years. A DNR biologist needed to be there. It’s now closed as they felt it was detrimental to the flathead populations. In fact, it was closed 3 years early.

Quote:

The Associated Press

COLUMBIA, Mo. — A five-year experiment to determine whether to legalize noodling in Missouri could end three years early.

Citing renewed threats to breeding-age fish, state conservation officials are no longer issuing permits to fish for catfish by hand, a practice known as noodling. The suspension could be made permanent as soon as next month.

“They’re catching too many, so we can’t catch any,” said Howard Ramsey, of Paris, Mo., president of Noodlers Anonymous, in a reference to Missourians who prefer to keep their hands outside the water when fishing.

Noodlers use their bare hands to poke around underwater caves and crevices for fish with sharp teeth that can weigh up to 100 pounds. As often as not, they come up with a handful of snakes, beavers or snapping turtles by mistake.

The way Ramsey sees it, “If you don’t come up bloody, you ain’t hand fishing.”

State law allows those who fish using lines, jugs or rods and reels to catch and keep up to 20 catfish daily. Noodlers are asking the state to allow hand-fishers to keep only five fish each season — compared with the experimental limit of five each day.

An estimated 2,000 Missourians fish by hand, according to Ramsey, compared with nearly half a million who fish using traditional methods.

Steve Eder, fisheries division chief for the Missouri Department of Conservation, said the experiment should end early because scientists have found higher-than-expected mortality rates among catfish in state waters. He also suggested that further limits could be imposed on all types of catfish harvests.

“We’re probably going to be more conservative in our harvest restrictions on catfish,” he said.

The Missouri Conservation Commission approved an experimental hand-fishing season for six weeks during summer 2005, limiting such fishing to specific parts of the Fabius, St. Francis and Mississippi rivers.

Ramsey said 159 permits have been issued over the past two years, with a total of 27 catfish caught by hand. State officials alerted permit-holders to the proposed changes in a March 16 letter.

Noodling is legal in at least a dozen states, including neighboring Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Illinois. Elsewhere, the practice is a misdemeanor crime.

Legislation to lengthen Missouri’s hand-fishing season and expand it to other bodies of water has previously passed both the state House and Senate but never made it into law.

State Rep. Steve Hobbs, R-Mexico, said he plans to renew those legislative efforts and take his complaints directly to Gov. Matt Blunt once the Legislature returns next week from its spring recess.

“I’m very disappointed,” he said. “Conservation has never been a willing participant in this experiment. They had their minds made up way before any study was done.”

A Conservation Department committee will consider the proposal to restore a permanent ban at an April 3 meeting in Jefferson City. Final approval rests with the four-member commission, which could consider the measure at its own April meeting, Eder said.

March 2007 Link<<

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I watched the first one last week. Not overly impressed. Seems like a big over hyped show without much substance. Throw in some people to play up the dangerous hunt for the elusive catfish in preplanted barrels.

I guess I was not impressed. I did dig on that guys back hair Holy Sasquatch

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I understand Brent is an authority on Sasquaches too.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

It’s cool that they can get underwater shots where you can see through the water when the water they’re standing in has a visibility of about an inch…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

It’s cool that they can get underwater shots where you can see through the water when the water they’re standing in has a visibility of about an inch…

I’d actually find the show more interesting if they showed more of that, and less of the bios on the clients. I mean, I really don’t care about them.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

I’d actually find the show more interesting if they showed more of that, and less of the bios on the clients. I mean, I really don’t care about them.

I care about the cute girls. I’d find it more interesting if they had more of them.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I care about the cute girls. I’d find it more interesting if they had more of them.

Those are on TV all over though. Some even don’t wear anything if you PPV the shows.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

I specialize in the Female variety. They seem to be attracted to my boyish good looks and charming personality for some reason

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

…and your tats.

katmando

Quote:

I know “things” are different down South, but has anyone ever thought about why those fish are in those holes and what happens to the fry when they are taken from their nests?

Maybe I’m just overly sensitive.

I definitely agree with you there bk but it also kind of reminds me of of something we do up here which is catching bass off their beds.
    But I definitely think it’s wrong messing with with the flattys during private time.

katmando

Quote:

I guess I was not impressed. I did dig on that guys back hair Holy Sasquatch

Yeah holy he’ll that guy has some impressive back hair

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Quote:

I specialize in the Female variety. They seem to be attracted to my boyish good looks and charming personality for some reason

Perhaps it’s that you live in Mantorville, which is well known to be prime territory for female Sasquatch.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I think it’s the same but different Kat.

“Most” people will catch a bass on it’s bed and release it. They go back to their beds and protect them again assuming there wasn’t another fish looking the bed over when it was caught.

With noodling they don’t get returned back to the water and the spawn is gone by predation or just don’t hatch because the male isn’t “fanning” them. So by taking one fish off it’s next the whole 1000’s of eggs don’t have a chance.

A person could say we shouldn’t be fishing pre spawn for flats, but here again they still have a chance to spawn once release…unless you end up with your pants full of tapioca.

That’s the way it’s seen in Bk’s world anyway.

(waiting for the knives )

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps it’s that you live in Mantorville, which is well known to be prime territory for female Sasquatch.

The Sasquatch here are good looking, unlike those horrible ones in Eagan. And don’t even get me started about the dog faced Sasquatch in Lakeland

You guys need to spend a little more time outside by yourself. A good shaggy Squatch will keep you warm on a cold December night

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I think this may have just taken a very weird turn. Sorry, I will get back to planning my 2 week moose hunt and the possibility that I might not want to return.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I can see Brent in the next Jack Links commercial. Don’t let them pass wind on the fire dude… I understand they are afraid of wedding rings unless they are lubricated enough to be blind.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

I can see Brent in the next Jack Links commercial. Don’t let them pass wind on the fire dude… I understand they are afraid of wedding rings unless they are lubricated enough to be blind.

So you are saying it is a good thing I don’t wear my wedding ring

Ohh crap, I was done derailing this thread. Back to my hole

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.