Flatheads

• swimwizz
    Prescott, WI

I plan on doing some night fishing for flatheads this summer on pools 3, 4, and 5 of the mississippi river. I was wondering what the best baits are?

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

bluegill, bullhead, sucker, big creek chubs…… in that order

rsunbehaun

i agree that those baits are the best for flat heads . i guide for catfish and i start with thse baits . those cat fish normally bite at night and the fresher the bait the better . i have found that flat heads bite normally from 1-4 hours after dark to 1 -2 hour before and after sunrise .use big bait 4-12 inches long and again the fresher the better . i hook my bait in the tail with 5/0 to10-0 circle hooks. that type of hook needs no hook set and the bait has more action . need more imfortion e-mail me on my report page . good luck and keep your line tight . umpie wis river guide service

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

The bigger the better. A flathead will take a bait that is 20 percent of its own weight. I like bullheads and blue gills. I have also had good luck with skipjacks..

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Dont use bluegills in Minnesota! It’s illeagal! You can use bullheads up to 8″ in length however.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I know Mavzer is the expert and that he thinks that I am nuts but I love to use chicken liver. Only got skunked once. Almost always puts several eater size flats in the boat. When I want guarenteed action, I use liver. At the very least I will hook up with a turtle. Doubt one will catch a trophy on the liver though. I would just recomend baiting up one of your rods with it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.