Whats in your stomach?

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Ok boys – get out your biology book and tell me what these critters are. Taken out of a channel cat stomach today. Looks to me like high flooding water gets the kitties chewing on a variety of bugs that get flooded out of their homes What do you think?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I agree, 2 of those grubs appear to be water worms. The one with the extra barf on it and the grub on the far right. Some people call the Helgramites.

I dig them out of creeks for trout bait. Apparently catfish like them too.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Not sure what they are, but that’s just gross. Looks like somebody after a long night of drinking Tequila

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I see a Golden Rod at the very top. The two big ones look to be Mealworms or Hellgies like Tom said,the three small ones look to be Cadis. The white pink flesh looks to be a digested fish. And the one to the right of the barfed on worm looks to be a mayfly. I dont want to know what the clear looking ones are.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Where’s D.A. when you need him? It’s too dark to be raking the lawn.

larry_haugh
    MN

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm
    thanks
    Larry

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

A couple of those actually look like crane fly larvae (yellowish looking flies when they hatch with big sweeping wings that hover and bounce on the water like caddis do).

Lots of interesting goodies.

D.A.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Dirk – I’m curious – Did you catch this fish near the bank? What did you catch the fish on? Could you take another pic and put a quarter on it so we could get a perspective on the size of these grubs? Thanks – this is a great post.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Sorry, cat guts have been roasted in a bonfire to prevent noxious fumes and mad neighbors. The larger grubs were about 1-1.25 inches, the small yellow things were about .25 inches, and the long, skinny, semi-translucent ones were up to 2 inches long. Can anyone identify the semi-tanslucent ones???

It always amazes me how fish can adapt to their surroundings/habitat. Their stomachs were filled with those small creatures. As soon as the water recedes I bet its back too eating fish/crayfish, ect.

They were caught on cutbait.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Can anyone identify the semi-tanslucent ones???

To me they look like parasitic roundworms (nematodes) rather than free-living worms or larvae. The problem is the size, though – that’s huge for a freshwater fish roundworm. They get that big elsewhere, in other animals. There are free-living nematodes, and ba-jillions of them in the soil, but they are mostly microscopic. So… I could be wrong.

They look a lot like dog hookworms too, which are also nematodes. There are probably some feasible scenarios for them getting from dog doo to a catfish gut, I guess, but I don’t like to think too hard about them.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I thought they could be parasitic too because they did not seem to be in any stage of digestion and they were not segmented…but I really have no idea.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.