Can you hunt the Mississippi River without a duck boat?

• Musky Magician
    Participant

Wanting to hunt the river this weekend after finding out more about where to hunt. My only question is can you walk into spots near pools 7&8 or the redwing area? Because it seems like it’s required to have a boat to hunt the river

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

I quit hunting ducks years ago but I wouldn’t even consider hunting ducks in the sloughs and backwaters of the river without a boat.. With the low river levels right now there may be areas that would allow it but I think you’d spend all of your time trying to find them.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I wouldn’t consider it at all. The backwaters are full of random deep channels under the water. There’s nothing worse than dropping a bird and not being able to retrieve it due to depths. Or walking in 2′, just to take a step into 6′ and go under. Been there, done that…managed to recover the shotgun too…

The Mississippi isn’t a river to be messed with. It’s vastly underestimated by most. I would, at the very least, use a kayak or canoe. I would also stay out of the main channel in one. Doesn’t seem that dangerous but 40 degree water temp and 15 degree air temp, mixed with a moderate current isn’t something to gamble with…

bullcans
    Participant
    Northfield MN

I wouldn’t consider it at all. The backwaters are full of random deep channels under the water. There’s nothing worse than dropping a bird and not being able to retrieve it due to depths. Or walking in 2′, just to take a step into 6′ and go under. Been there, done that…managed to recover the shotgun too…

The Mississippi isn’t a river to be messed with. It’s vastly underestimated by most. I would, at the very least, use a kayak or canoe. I would also stay out of the main channel in one. Doesn’t seem that dangerous but 40 degree water temp and 15 degree air temp, mixed with a moderate current isn’t something to gamble with…

I agree with Merican Eagle 100%
    That river is a scary thing for a newby as well as a seasoned river rat. It must be respected and not taken lightly.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Yes you CAN. Is it easy? No. Would I do it? No.

I have a buddy who financially could buy 10 of the fanciest boats ever compiled for duck hunting, but he opts to go out in a canoe with just him and his dog. He shoots plenty of ducks, he just doesn’t go out for amateur hour on the weekends or on the beautiful 45 degree days. He goes out when it’s nastier than what most will tolerate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.