Can the predicted snow sink the ice?

• stinkfinger

Could 16″ of wet snow sink 20″ of late season ice? I am imaging the weight, and the condition of most of the ice Mille Lacs on north. If it is honeycombing out the top and the bottom, do you think it would sink?

Smackem33

Nope it’s gonna be close for opener, Mille lacs usually needs to break free from the shores and go back and forth a couple times with the wind to clear out. This snow is just gonna slow down the melt

Andrew Pansch

I think it will cause more reflecting first but the added melt will probably speed the thaw after. It will be fine for opener.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I imagine you can/will get water/slush on top of the ice sheet like it’s prone to do anytime you get substantial snow loading. Ice is less dense than water so it will float regardless.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Nope it’s gonna be close for opener, Mille lacs usually needs to break free from the shores and go back and forth a couple times with the wind to clear out. This snow is just gonna slow down the melt

Close for Opener? It’s 4 days until April 15th and Opener is a full month away. I would say odds are that the ice is off Mille Lacs by May 1st. This little dip in temps and snow storm is just a minor set back.

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

If the minor setback keeps the nets out, it’s a win. The ice will be off in plenty of time before the opener

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

If the minor setback keeps the nets out, it’s a win. The ice will be off in plenty of time before the opener

Isn’t that the truth. In my opinion, the snow on top is just going to all melt again filling the top of the ice up with water which in turn will help melt the ice from the top down faster. I’m probably wrong… but I can tell you odds are it’ll be open by the opener.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.