Boat trailer brake options?

• joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Ordering a new boat and I was wondering what type of brakes would be best? This would be a tandem axle trailer that would sometimes be towed by a slightly less than ideal towing vehicle (Buick Enclave w/tow package). Would electric disk brakes be that much better? I assume surge brakes is standard.

thanks

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Would electric disk brakes be that much better?

In a word, yes. Not sure on the cost difference up front or maintenance, but the few trailers I have pulled with electric brakes stop much better than surge. I’m not even sure I’ve seen boat trailers with electric brakes on them, though.

You’ll also have to have a brake controller installed (if you don’t have one), but they’re fairly inexpensive.

mojogunter

I have never heard of electric brakes on a boat trailer. I would think electric brakes in water is a bad idea even if you unplug before you back in. I could be wrong though. Maybe get brakes on both axles to help the Buick out stopping.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

You want disk brakes for sure. They are usually activated by a trailer tongue surge system. Best system would be disk brakes with electric over hydraulic. Doubt anyone offers that. Etrailer and such sell a controller to do that but they run about $500.

With that size of tow vehicle I would recommend getting brakes on both axels and go with the std surge activation.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I have electric on my boat trailer and love them as they actually have stoping power and work when needed. I used to fish in the winter more and it was nice to know they were back when I needed them. The surge was shot on my rig and I was told they are not worth fixing once they break. I do have to unplug them before dumping in (forgot plenty of times and not had an issues), but it’s never been an issue. I would feel ok pulling a decent stopping rig if then breaks actually work like like that if slightly undersized.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.