Blurry Trail Cam Pics

• Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Is there a way to clear them up somewhat?

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

This is one pic of a new buck that showed on our lease a week or so ago. He is quite a ways from the camera here.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0305.jpg

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Here is closer but it’s pretty blurry.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0304.jpg

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Would like to see some detail of what he really is.

404 ERROR
    MN

What kind of camera are you using? I have a couple of the cheaper Moultrie cameras and the picture quality is about par with what you’re seeing. I have a handful of the higher end Moultrie cameras and the quality is literally night and day different.

It usually comes down to the camera itself, but there are a few things you can do to possibly improve the camera. Be sure there is a water tight seal, make sure the lens stays clean, ensure there isn’t an abundance of small sticks and brush that can trip the camera and the camera isn’t pointing directly into the sunlight at peak times. I’m sure many other people will chime in with good input, also.

We had one camera stolen this last week on our 601 property. Luckily two other cameras picked up pictures of them carrying it. Working on getting more info from the neighbors.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

We have an array of different brands and models. Moultrie, Wildgame Innovations, Stealth Cams, etc. None of them are high end. I think part of the problem is that they are shooting out into food plots and a lot of the time the deer are quite away from the camera. I’m sure higher priced gear would help also. I thought I had read somewhere that it was possible to clear up some of the blur with different photo programs also.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m no expert on trailcameras but I doubt software will help clear up your picture much, maybe a little? The FBI doesn’t even have the technology to clear up cameras that they are hopeful will help catch the bad guys. The more expensive cameras will have better quality for sure….thats why they cost so much.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

What you can do:
    Get the deer to stop moving when the pic is taken.

In all seriousness low light blurriness is indicative to all cameras. You need light to expose a picture. In low light conditions you either need to manufacture light or expose for a longer period of time. For the latter case any movement causes blurriness. Also, when your camera lens is the size of a fingernail it doesn’t have a lot of light capturing capabilities.

I don’t know much about trail cameras but I assume they are using some type of infared flash? I would think the only option to improve low light images is to buy a camera that has a stronger infared flash and/or better lens. You’re likely looking at higher end and you still may not overcome blurriness. The other thing may be battery life.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Looks to me like a nice shooter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.