Blaze Orange on Hunting Blind?

• dave_n
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

I’m thinking about using my ground blind for deer hunting this year. Is there a requirement that it needs to have blaze orange on it? It seems much safer to do it but I don’t have any experience. Any thoughts?

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Not sure about regs check the DNR website. However if its public land no way in hell I’m sitting in one without a fair amount of orange on it.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

If for nothing else, if sitting in a high traffic area, some orange may provide you some space if other hunters in the area have a brain. However, common sense is uncommon theses days…

Tom schmitt
    Participant

It may not be a regulation, but it should be.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

You do not have to put any orange on it. But as others have stated, I would highly recommend it not only for safety purposes but also as an indication to other hunters that you are hunting that immediate area.

Something else to keep in mind. If you are indeed using it on public land, anyone can use it. Its first come, first serve and there’s nothing you can do about it.

TH
    Participant

Something else to keep in mind. If you are indeed using it on public land, anyone can use it. Its first come, first serve and there’s nothing you can do about it.
    [/quote]

Except pick it up and move it. It’s still your blind.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Except pick it up and move it. It’s still your blind.

Yes, that’s true.

My point was that if its on public land, anyone can still use it. Same with a tree stand. Let’s be honest, you really don’t want that kind of trouble either. I certainly don’t.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

regulation or not, i’d be putting as much blaze orange on it as i possibly could!!!!!!

i’ve though about hunting from a ground blind once in a while…….just cant seem to do it …….there’s just something to be said about hunting off the ground……..like being able to see further!!!!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

My point was that if its on public land, anyone can still use it. Same with a tree stand. Let’s be honest, you really don’t want that kind of trouble either. I certainly don’t.

Yeah its certainly nothing to have an argument over. My son sat in someone’s stand on public land on the youth hunt. I told him if the guy comes out just get down and go somewhere else even though he would certainly be in the right to stay there. The guy never showed and he shot a nice doe from it.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I’d never sit in a camouflage blind on public land. Trusting others’ common sense and safety is not something I am willing to do. I have a wife and 2 daughters who rely on me.

We hunt our land and our land only. It takes many of the unknowns out of the equation. The last thing I’d want to deal with is random unknown people when hunting.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

eah its certainly nothing to have an argument over. My son sat in someone’s stand on public land on the youth hunt. I told him if the guy comes out just get down and go somewhere else even though he would certainly be in the right to stay there. The guy never showed and he shot a nice doe from it.

That’s perfectly fine. I’m guessing that the general firearms season will have significantly more hunters than a youth or early anterless season, so I wouldn’t plan on that stand opening day. I personally would not sit in a stand that I had not put up.

Year ago when it was legal to physically erect a permanent stand made out of wood, boards, and nails/screws on public land, my uncle had an encounter with someone more than once on a stand that he built. There was another hunter and his kid in it on opening day when he got there in the dark. Of course an argument took place and my uncle is not one to back down from something like that. Eventually the guy and his kid left the area but you can guarantee that the deer activity in the area was done for a while there.

He went back there the next morning and someone had chainsawed the entire stand to the ground.

Things can escalate when it comes to situations like this. The OP hasn’t indicated if his blind is on private or public land, so much of this is just spitballing.

Placing a piece of orange on the blind would be a wise idea solely from a safety stand point.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Yeah where we hunt you cannot erect stands using wood anymore. That was banned close to 20 years ago. I have had one of my stands stolen and another one that the guy tried to shoot the lock off and blew 3 holes through one of the steps of the ladder stand. My dad’s old military lock held up. I would never mess with someone else’s stand I guess its too much to expect others to do the same. There is a clamp on stand that has been up for over 20 years. I dont think the guy even uses it anymore.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

i use a blaze-orange roof attachment on mine when i’m on public land. they are inexpensive, easy to install, and provide nice visibility. just get the right one to match your blind – most blind companies make them.

when on public land i also hang up a couple of signs on the entry path and outside edge of the woods where i’m sitting to alert others that i am in the area.

Attachments:
    1. sign.jpg

2. blind.jpg

Tom schmitt
    Participant

I have taken to putting my name and phone number on my stands.
    I would much rather have some coordination with the people hunting where I am.
    There is no reason not to work together when hunting.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Public land I would have that orange roof. Where I hunt on private I do not do anything other than set it up and sit.

dave_n
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

Thanks for the input everybody. Here’s what the DNR told me:

Thank you for contacting the MN DNR Info Center.
    There is not a legal requirement for that, no. However, a well-hidden blind is also hidden from other hunters, so you might consider including some blaze for your own safety.

I’ll definitely add some orange if I hunt public lands, and probably go without on private land if I am the only hunter. Thanks again, Dave

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

Wisconsin does require a blind used for hunting to have blaze orange visible from all directions. Here is from our regs.

Blinds
    Placement of blinds/stands on public land
    does not restrict others from using the
    blind/stand or hunting the public land
    where the blind/stand is located.
    It is illegal to:
    ƒ Use a ground blind during any open
    deer season or special deer hunt with
    firearms unless a minimum of 144
    square inches of solid blaze orange
    or fluorescent pink material is visible
    from all directions.
    Note: Blinds used for waterfowl hunting
    are exempt from this rule.

luckydave
    Participant
    Cottage Grove, MN

To clarify, in WI the blaze orange requirement only applies to public lands.

Jay Oliver
    Participant

Depends on where you are. Iowa DNR requires blaze orange on all blinds during gun season, 144 square inches of it to be exact.

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

Only if you have left the blind empty. Its your blind and even if used on public land nobody can remove you from it if you are occupying it. It doesn’t mean that someone can come along and erect a ladder stand on a tree right next to you though and that was done once in Whitewater..

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Only if you have left the blind empty.

Ya that’s what I meant. This is from last season and I believe the regs have changed on blaze orange requirements for ground blinds on public land now during deer firearms and muzzle loader season.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Depends on where you are. Iowa DNR requires blaze orange on all blinds during gun season, 144 square inches of it to be exact.

I read that but did not see one example on all the private land blinds I saw this fall. Maybe they throw something on during gun season?

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Maybe they throw something on during gun season?

That would be likely. Or maybe it only applies to public land like it does here. Really no need for orange during archery season.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Does orange have to used on blinds on private land ?

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

No

At least in MN and WI. I’m not sure about Iowa, as their firearms season opens tomorrow.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

No

At least in MN and WI. I’m not sure about Iowa, as their firearms season opens tomorrow.

The pheasants are going to be very confused down there tomorrow! jester

Michael Best
    Participant

Below is what Iowa says on its eRegulations
    I don’t see anything about private or public

BLAZE ORANGE REQUIRED

To hunt deer with a firearm in any season you must wear one of the following articles of external, visible, solid blaze orange clothing: vest, jacket, coat, sweatshirt, sweater, shirt or coveralls. An orange hat alone is not sufficient. No person shall use a blind for hunting deer during the regular shotgun deer seasons unless such blind exhibits a solid blaze orange marking with a minimum of 144 square inches visible in all directions.

A blind is defined as a place of concealment constructed, either wholly or partially from man-made materials, which is used for the purpose of hiding a person who is hunting from sight. A blind is not a naturally occurring landscape feature or an arrangement of natural or agricultural plant material that a hunter uses for concealment. In addition to the requirements above, hunters using blinds must also satisfy the requirements of wearing blaze orange.

traumatized
    Participant
    eastern iowa

In Iowa it’s law (and common sense).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.