Best Minnesota winter snow tire – Crossover SUV

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My wife has a Hyundai Tucson and I think its time for some new tires. I was planning on just rolling with the ones on it now till next summer or fall. But with her having a new job that she needs to drive about 20 mile to each way, I think she probably needs them now. Most of my online research seems to be pointing to Michelin. I know for many years the Michelin defender was always one of the top picks. Not sure if they still are or not. I really don’t want to go the Snow tire route and have to store and switch 2 sets of tires. I’m looking for a all season tire. Just want to here all of your opinions on what ones are the best. I need to get this done sooner rather than later.

RM

Michelin CrossClimate2. Just put these on my wife’s Ford Escape a few months ago. She drives 30 miles to and from work each day. We had an icy morning a couple weeks ago, a few cars ended up in the ditch. She said she didn’t slip at all and was completely confident.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If you want to shoot me over your actual size I can look for you. I would consider a somewhat new style tire, they are now making a “all weather” tire and some manufacturers have it. It is between a true snow/winter tire and the all season. Goodyear, Toyo, Firestone and Bridgestone have them and if I’m correct the CrossClimates RM mentioned are in that class as well. You can run them all year around, I would expect maybe a little less longevity but most still come with at tread life warranty.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you want to shoot me over your actual size I can look for you. I would consider a somewhat new style tire, they are now making a “all weather” tire and some manufacturers have it. It is between a true snow/winter tire and the all season. Goodyear, Toyo, Firestone and Bridgestone have them and if I’m correct the CrossClimates RM mentioned are in that class as well. You can run them all year around, I would expect maybe a little less longevity but most still come with at tread life warranty.

John – What is the road noise and ride like on those new all weather class of tires like in the summer time? I like the idea of them but know she will hate them if they are noisy or rough riding.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Noise I can’t speak for as I have not run them personally. I would expect a little more road noise because of the tread pattern. Ride should be same or better because they will be a bit softer. I think if you explained the benefits of the traction in the winter she might go for it?

Nodakk

I just went through this with my wife’s Jeep Compass. Ended up going with Bridgestone WeatherPeaks. They are the all weather tire that was mentioned. So far been very happy. Costco had the best price but Discount Tire was $10 more. The CrossClimates were also recommended to me but I decided against them as they are a directional tire and I wanted to do 4 tire rotations

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I run Michelin X-ice on the wife’s SUV and they have been great. I run Blizzaks on my truck and they have been good also. Both of these are a dual compound tire with a soft outer layer that really grips on icy roads.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I run Michelin X-ice on the wife’s SUV and they have been great. I run Blizzaks on my truck and they have been good also. Both of these are a dual compound tire with a soft outer layer that really grips on icy roads.

That Michelin X-ice is a true snow tire correct. Its not considered a all season or New all weather tire?

Alagnak1

I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the newer style cross climate 2 for the wife’s exploder but went right back to Michelin Defender again because they’re great and same issue with wanting to keep regular 4 tire rotations.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Noise I can’t speak for as I have not run them personally. I would expect a little more road noise because of the tread pattern. Ride should be same or better because they will be a bit softer. I think if you explained the benefits of the traction in the winter she might go for it?

John. The tire size is 245/45R19. I’m leaning towards the Michelin Cross climate 2 at this point. Possibly the Bridgestone Weather peaks but I don’t think they may ne available in the size I need. Do you have a work phone # I can reach you at to discuss.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Stay away from the Good Year Weatherready’s. Had a pair on my work Suv and they lasted 30k with proper rotations. Have the CONTINENTAL CONTIPROCONTACT now and love them.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You can call me at the shop Victory Auto Service 763-780-1002. I will look into your size right now.

Ryan Schwartz

I’m getting new tires installed this Sunday for my SUV. Went with the Michelin CrossClimate2. Told the tire service guy what tires I wanted ordered and he replied back, “here’s a guy that knows his tires!”…lol.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

That Michelin X-ice is a true snow tire correct. Its not considered a all season or New all weather tire?

Yes, the dedicated winter tires so much better than the ones that try and do everything. I have 2 sets for each vehicle, all season and winter and swap just swap them.

10klakes

Also getting the cross climate 2’s installed on one of our vehicles. I wanted the defender ltx m/s but they discontinued it in that size, kinda weird given its a common tire size. Don’t get the defender 2, completely different.

CC2’s are spendy but I don’t see an issue if it adds a small amount of accident prevention vs a lesser tire. Even a minor fender bender these days will put you close to the cost of tires – deductible, dealing with insurance, repair time, hassle not having the vehicle etc.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I only know one kind and am buying my second set in a couple weeks. Blizzak DM-V2’s. For my truck

toddrun

I swear by the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires as well, have them on 3 vehicles and love them.

I have a Subaru Crosstrek and I could not get Defenders in its wheel size, so I got talked into the CrossClimate II’s. They are about a year old now, ~12,000 miles, and they are great tires as well, but they are directional. I would recommend them as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.