Best hub shelter to buy

• moondog

I have a clam four person pullover house right now. Looking to get rid of it and get a hub house. Just wondering what hub house it the best to buy and why. will be fishing with up to four people most times. I just fished out of a 494I eskimo last night and really liked it other then it was a little tight for 4 people.
    I am looking at the Eskimo fatfish 6120I, Clam x-600 and the otter xtl Pro resort. Brand doesn’t really matter to me. I just want to best house with room. I want to hear everyone like or dislikes about any of these houses and what house you would buy.
    Thanks

Mwhiterabbit
    Andover, MN

I’m personally waiting for the Otter Monster Hub to get back in stock at Cabelas as I’m in the same boat and that’s the biggest currently on the market.

marcolson13
    NULL

You can get the Otter Lodge “Tribute” version for $300 with a free Tribute TShirt and free shipping on the otter website. Same size and features as the regular otter lodge but with a little red white blue flare. Percentage of the proceeds goes to wounded warriors foundation. Lodge is a 4-5 person hub so probably more Like 4 person.

Attachments:
    1. 569CD96D-04DD-448D-8A64-1263B3F9A59D.jpeg

iTinker

Otter XTH Resort because it will reasonably fit everyone without it feeling tight inside, while not killing your wallet. Solid thermal with great storage and features.

I just picked up the Eskimo 6120i from Sportsmans Guide, it was on sale for $360 ($380 shipped with taxes) and came with an $80 gift card (that I put towards a new Evo 1iT.)

I upgraded from a 949i (61 sq ft) to the 6120i (80 sq ft) for sturgeon spearing and extended overnight stays on the ice. It’s about 10 pounds heavier than the 949i, and when it’s packed in the bag, it’s top heavy. But I use a smitty sled to haul gear, so weight isn’t really a concern. But I think you would tip over if you tried carrying it like a backpack.

Setup and take down are pretty easy, maybe 5 minutes tops for each. I haven’t fished out of it yet, though I will be spending 3 nights in it this coming weekend. There’s plenty of room for a spearing hole along one side and a cot on the opposite side, with 3′ of space between them. Would also fit 2 colts with lots of room in the middle, maybe a third cot in the middle with a little space between them. I used my 949i a couple times for camping in the fall and it worked great. Way easier to set up than any tent I’ve used. Plan to do the same with the 6120i.

It comes with 9 of the best anchors on the market and 3 tie down straps, plus a pin-on name plate holder if your state requires that sort of thing.

In the picture, the shoveled area is a mockup of my spearing hole. The edge of the shoveled area closest to the cot is approximately 4′ from the hub behind the camera.

Attachments:
    1. 20200202_164220.jpg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ll be purchasing an Eskimo quickfish 6i once they hit $300 like they did last year.

From the HUB’s I’ve been in, I’d highly recommend an Eskimo.

vinella

I’m a huge Eskimo hub fan as well. I’ve had the Quickfish 3i, 949i, and now the Outbreak 450i. Never had an issue. Great anchors and quilting and easy set up/take down. The full length door on the Outbreak is awesome, especially if you have little kids or old dads with bad knees.

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

I have an Eskimo 5i that has been awesome. Easy set up/take down with a little help from a 2nd person. As Vinella said great anchors and quilting too. I use bungee cords for holding the sides out instead of the strings that come with it..way easier! The full length door would be great to have but I get by. This might get a little tight for 4 people with all the gear but Eskimo makes bigger models. I also have the Eskimo Sierra thermal flip and 8 inch pistol bit..I’m sold on their products. Eskimo all day in my opinion!

SnakeShaker

I got a fatfish 6120i this season, and I love it! My buddy just picked up the clam 6-sided thermal too, and it is also pretty sweet. The clam is taller and wider, and admittedly, that makes the doors taller and wider which is nice, but the extra height and width makes his clam longer than his 6.5 foot truck bed. The eskimo fits straight on, and he needs to put his in the truck diagonally.

4 people, no problem. You’ll have to give a little thought to layout so you aren’t tripping over one another if someone needs to get outside, but nobody is going to have to sit on a lap. Also, it stays super warm with a buddy on low. I also was planning overnights, so knowing that I have 100+ hours on the heater because of thermal efficiency makes me less worried about freezing in the middle of the night.

Attachments:
    1. 20200201_104423.jpg

2. 20200201_104429-1.jpg

gonehunting

I would be the first to admit that up until a couple years ago I was a sole Otter fan when it came to flipovers. When I decided to get a hub I took a serious look at the Clam hubs and was thoroughly impressed. I’ve owned the Bigfoot XL4000T, 1660 Mag thermal and X400. All have quality material, a lot of room and most importantly at 6ft tall I can stand without hitting the ceiling. The oversize bags are also nice. I would agree the Eskimo and Otters are nice also so you should find a quality hub. I would encourage you to visit a store and try them out. L&M Fleet currently has the X400 for under $300. Not sure what the X600 is currently running. Check out Reeds and Scheels as they generally price match.

Coletrain27

I got a clam refuge thermal this year and it’s very nice quality imo. It’s plenty tall to stand up in and the bag is nice and big to pack it in after use. It also came with adjustable straps for anchoring a 4 nice ice anchors

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i have a polar bird. cant buy them anymore in the states as far as i know but ive sat in all the major brands and i like my polar bird the most. Too small for 4 guys though

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.