Bemidji area report

• Iowaboy1

Our week is coming to an end so I thought I would write up what little intel I can offer for the week of 6/18-23.
    First two days were hot, 97 Sunday,94 Monday and of course a storm had to roll through Monday night but at least it cooled things back off.
    The water temps were barely scratching 64-66 Sat night but by Tue morning they were up to 72-76 depending on what part of the lake you were on.
    We were very pleased to have Dutchboy visit us for a few hours, this is the second time we have had the pleasure of meeting the man himself!!

With the cool beginning on Tue we got into a school of crappie that just flat out made up for the first two days of effort.
    Those pics are posted on my shout out to tiny rodworks thread.
    The crappie were hitting a pink/white jig tipped with a minnow, we were locked in nine feet of water casting out to fourteen feet of water, with the winds we had keeping the rod tip high and an ultra slow retrieve we picked them off at will.
    We went back out that night and did it all over again, so much fun!!

Wed morning we had the pleasure of having UMY at our cabin for half of a day!! after unloading his boat I gave him the fifty cent tour of the lake,,AHEM, even though his boat has a four stroke, it was more like the 3.85 tour of the lake.
    Talk about a man with a passion for bass fishing!! GOOD GRIEF!! he so reminded me of my younger years casting to every possible pocket where a bass maybe hiding out!! the water temp Wed morning was 64 if memory serves me.

This morning we went out with the sole intent of catching some perch, we couldnt get a bite on the same colors we had been using so we decided to move to another part of the lake and give it a try.
    My first cast produced a walleye!! I have a confidence bait that Trumar built me a few years ago that I tied on seeing as how I caught old marble eyes and sure enough I caught two more in just a few minutes!! That jig has a gold head with an orange hair body and I tipped it with a minnow.
    Three eyes in less than fifteen minutes and of course I couldnt catch another one to save my butt, it always seems like I show up at the end of the bite window and it wasnt ten in the morning yet!!.

The weather was hot again today by noon, everyone struggled to find keeper size fish, every crappie we caught, every rockbass, everything except for the walleyes still had eggs in them.
    Perch werent full of grubs yet, almost everything save for the crappie had small crawdads in their stomachs.
    The crappie had some kind of larva in them, looked like a little brown worm about a quarter inch long and there were thousands of them in their stomachs.

So, our go to jigs were pink/white, and gold head/orange hair jigs, nothing would hit on blue, black, plain white and anything else we tossed at them.
    We caught nothing on any type of crank bait, this body of water is a strange one to figure out and always has been, with three different weather fronts coming through in succession I am not surprised at all but we did good enough!
    The best part was being with family and friends, meeting a new friend face to face, staying at EPG’s cabin, using tools built by fellow IDO members, etc, what a week !!

One thing that took me a bit to figure out was how come our minnows in the live well had broken tails and bloody noses.
    I blame it on my new Helix 7 with Mega Si,???
    When we leave the dock we throw the throttle to ludicrous speed and when I saw fish on the Helix that I wanted to go after I hit the emergency stop button, So I guess I was ramming the poor little guys head first into one wall of the live well and their tails into the other.

Attachments:
    1. KIMG1436-scaled.jpg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Sounds like you had a damn good trip.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well done. Hope the batteries of life got a recharge and you have a safe trip home.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Well done. Hope the batteries of life got a recharge and you have a safe trip home.

Hear Hear!!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I went to the liquor store yesterday and there seems to be a Jack Daniels shortage.

Glad you and Sheryl had a good time, see you up there next year!

MX1825

Glad you and the FW had a good time. waytogo The only problem with your week of a great vacation, NEXT week is gonna SUCK.
    Don’t ask me how I know! doah

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll be doing the same over the 4th, and it can’t get here soon enough. Glad you had a great trip!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Great report iowaboy!!! waytogo

So while Dutchy was there he didn’t try and force any of that Grain Belt on you did he?? doah jester

So you stayed at EPG’s place and we t to the bemidji area every day??

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So while Dutchy was there he didn’t try and force any of that Grain Belt on you did he?? doah jester

They had a cabin at a undisclosed lake. Sheldon took me for a ride around the lake. It was tough going with all the Crappie, Sunfish, Bass, Pike, Muskie and rough fish (Walleye) getting tangled in the prop. Except for the centrally located stripper pole and strobe light it looked to be a very relaxing place. cool

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

They had a cabin at a undisclosed lake. Sheldon took me for a ride around the lake. It was tough going with all the Crappie, Sunfish, Bass, Pike, Muskie and rough fish (Walleye) getting tangled in the prop. Except for the centrally located stripper pole and strobe light it looked to be a very relaxing place. cool

Dang you Dutchboy!! that wasnt a stripper pole !! it was a filet pole, ah heck, you wouldnt believe what we hang from it anyway!!
    And the strobe lights were runway lights for the aliens so they could see the underwater landing strip so they could deliver some of those electric pooping unicorns mentioned in another thread.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.