Begging hunter locations for Canvassback and redheads

• Musky Magician
    Participant

New to waterfoul hunting this year. I have knocked off several species but now I want to try to get some canvasback and red heads for the first time. Any advise? The river?

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Location? Canvasbacks migrate early for divers. I usually don’t see much of them in SE MN past first week of November. Redheads are scattered around the Mississippi flyway but I usually see more in western MN, closer to the central flyway.

deertracker
    Participant

Not sure where you are located but hunt big water.
    DT

Musky Magician
    Participant

Appreciate it… I will leave the canvasback alone then and try for a redhead on the river. I live in the eastern part of MN so it will likely be the river for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Onalaska area

bullcans
    Participant
    Northfield MN

Onalaska Area

Musky Magician
    Participant

How does the voluntary waterfowl avoidance area in Onalaska effect that pool? Can you still hunt it at all? On the east side of the river?

bullcans
    Participant
    Northfield MN

The birds tend to hang inside the refuge zone often, cruising up and down the river. If you get new birds in, that is your better opportunity as they aren’t quite familiar yet with the lines like the “seasoned” birds are that hang down there. Crappy weather will be your friend too as it seems to get them scattered sometimes and they don’t always fly their normal, daily routes. You must study and know the boundaries well and need to scout it out during daylight hours.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

I am not associated with or have ever used this guide service but their website talks about Cans on the Mississippi.

Canvasbacks and Other Trophy Birds on the Mississippi

Good luck!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.