Line choice for crankbaits, rattletraps, swimjigs

• wrp5

I use 17lb test line for crankbaits and rattletraps. I was thinking about droping down to 15lb Berkley Big Game line for cranks and rattletraps, good choice or not? Also what is the best line and test for swimjigs? If braided line is your choice for swimjigs, why? Thanks!!!!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I use a 15lb Flouroclear made by P-Line for cranks and traps. It’s worked very well for me.

I’m not much of a swim jig thrower, but if I’m fishing open water I’ll use the same line. If I’m fishing around slop and timber, I’ll use a braid. Power Pro in the neighborhood of 40lbs.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I use 17lb Sugoi flourocarbon for the cranks and traps….but I still throw braid on my swim jigs b/c I throw them in so much grass….the braid cuts through it better….

I’ve never been a big fan of berkley line, but haven’t used it in years so I can’t really speak much on it.

I have p-line on a few as well and that’s good too.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Whatever you use for swim jigs, It must have no stretch. You want to bury the hook and a swim jig is no wimpy short cast lure. When you have the bait out 20-30+ yards like we all sometimes do, you just aren’t going to be successful with a stretchy line and a single hook, plus weedguard. Add in the fact that you are fishing the swim jigs over a lot of grass, wood and miscelaneous cover and braid just seems to be the best general line. I can see fluoro being the only way to go in clear water w/out heavy cover, but on the mississippi river, I get bit with braid in any cover, or the lack of it. I throw 50 lb braid in the junk and…50 lb braid everywhere else

As far as diving cranks, I like 12 lb sufix siege best. It is extremely durable line that holds up great on rocks and has a high breaking point. I ran a test on line strength and sufix 12 would break on 15-17 lbs of pressure on average! This was even after some moderate abrasion and line twist.
    I throw trap baits on pretty much the same lines as I do cranks..12 lb sufix or 14 lb gamma co-polymer is what I am using right now.

zombywuff
    Illinois

I use 10# P-Line CXX for my cranks and traps, haven’t had a problem, yet! I’ve actually straightened out some hokks when snagged without it breaking.

I use Power Pro for my swimjigs. Why? Because that’s what’s recommended by the manufacturer. 30# because I take no chances!

wrp5

Thanks for the advice!

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Over the years swim jigs have morphed into a heavy-slop bait. Don’t get me wrong, I understand why, and I also use them in the salad. However, a few of the swim jig pioneers created it to be fished on lighter mono rather than braid. They created a lightwire hook and brushguard (or no brushguard) combo that allows plenty of penetration of the hook with lighter mono at long casts. Some of these swim jig experts still use light mono exclusively with very little hook sets.

Trust me, anyone will be successful by tying on some heavy braid and slinging a jig into the junk. But there is WAY more to the swim jig than that.

Did I mention I use braid?…

riverfan
    MN

Wrp5,

I used 15 lb Big Game last year for swim jigs and it worked well for me. I got my hands on some 16 lb Gama fluorocarbon and I’m testing it right now. Overall I like it but it’s early so I’m holding judgment. I do like the low stretch characteristics of fluorocarbon. I dislike bread because of some of the handling issues (loops over the tip if you miss a strike, etc).

kris_brantner
    My river

i dont like fishing with bread either john… hehe but seriously, the only rods i have braid on are my two frog rods. i like throwing any cranks on 12lb flouro and have 14 lb suffix on most of my other rods with the excpetion of the two rods i have for jigs, they have 17lb. im impressed with the 10 lb yo zuri hybrid that i put on my spinning rods this year. i accidently snagged a 35-40 lb paddle fish early this spring while walleye fishing(im almost embarassed to say i was fishing for those stupid goldfish) and even landed the thing after about a 15 min fight. i have never had a problem with a hookset on 14 lb mono on a swim jig or any other hook for that matter weather it b a spinner bait worm fluke or anything else with a single hook

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

What action rods are you guys using? I use a MH with braid and i can really drive the hook into the fish’s mouth. I have a friend that uses 12 lb stren mono and a medium light rod and I have never seen anyone miss more fish. I have told him to use his MH rod and use those noodles for topwater and cranks but he seems to like the feel of those rods. I have used mono with swim jigs before and caught fish and didn’t miss anything, but in my opinion, you must have a heavier rod if you are going to use mono.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I use braid for swim jigs 80% of the time, 15# flouro the rest. I use braid because of the cover the jig is used around and for the long distance I like to cast them. The braid seems to more consistently bring them back to the boat. If it was only submerged grass I was fishing over than the flouro would probably be my go to line but there is always such a mix of cover you fish in a day that the braid just covers it all I think.

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

I have a friend that uses 12 lb stren mono and a medium light rod and I have never seen anyone miss more fish

So it’s not the mono that is the problem…it’s because the rod doesn’t have enough backing in it to hook the fish. I’ve used 10lb sensation on clearer lakes with swim jigs and never had a problem hooking fish, however I’m using a MH rod.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I don’t ever seem have a problem with getting the hook set with a swim jig. It’s not like a big flipping jig or a thick Texas rig plastic that you need to drive the hook home with. I use either 14-16 pound Flouro on a Medium action rod, or 40 pound braid on a MH rod. Like Eric, Cover being fished dictates more to me what to use.

As far as cranks and traps, probably an even mix of Flouro and mono but not braid. Maybe braid though if I were ripping traps or cranks through thick weeds.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

I don’t ever seem have a problem with getting the hook set with a swim jig. It’s not like a big flipping jig or a thick Texas rig plastic that you need to drive the hook home with…

You are 100% correct Mossboss. A lot of the swim jig guys I know rarely bury the hook home on strike from a swim jig. It’s not something that needs to happen when fishing swim jigs.

I fish my crankbaits the same way. I rarely “set the hook” into a fish. I’m using a 7′ Medium fiberglass rod. All I want and need is for the rod to load and the fish hooks itself. IMHO, if you set the hook on a fish and miss it, all you’ve managed to do is pull the bait away from the fish and out of it’s strike zone.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I agree with that 100% on crankbaits. I have a medium 7 foot custom glass rod with spiral guides and I just let the fish load up on that. Swim jigs don’t require a monster hookset with 50 lb braid and a mh rod, but usually more of a sweeping hookset, like you would with a spinnerbait. I guess it’s just what works for me. But I rarely miss fish and have never ripped a jaw off with my hooksets so I am confident enough to continue to use it.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I use 12# P-Line Flouro on my crankin’ rods. 7′ glass for cranks and traps.

Swim Jigs. 20# Power-Pro and 15# P-Line Flouro on 6′ 10″ Med fast action rods.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

I agree with that 100% on crankbaits. I have a medium 7 foot custom glass rod with spiral guides and I just let the fish load up on that. Swim jigs don’t require a monster hookset with 50 lb braid and a mh rod, but usually more of a sweeping hookset, like you would with a spinnerbait. I guess it’s just what works for me. But I rarely miss fish and have never ripped a jaw off with my hooksets so I am confident enough to continue to use it.

What kind of cranking blank do you have? Is it a Seeker?

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Crankbaits and rattletraps I use 12# flouro, on swimjigs and spinnerbaits 14# Sulfix Elite, on frogs and any other slop fishing it is 50# power pro. It all seems to work for me.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

TAR-846E-Glass
    Med-heavy med-action

Tactical Assault
    Revolver Rod

That’s all I know Dan. Got it from Laudy

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

TAR-846E-Glass
    Med-heavy med-action

Tactical Assault
    Revolver Rod

That’s all I know Dan. Got it from Laudy

If you got it from Laudy, then I know what it is thanks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.