sunglasses

• wrp5

I am looking to buy a pair of sunglasses for under $100.00. What do you recommend? Interchangable lens or just go with one colored lens for all situations. I have been looking at Bolles sunglasses a lot. I like the glasses that have the frame built all the way around the lens. To me it would be easier on the face.

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

If you are anything like me I would buy cheap glasses because I loose/break a couple pairs a year.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Same here, I buy the cheapo’s since I scratch and loose about 5 pair a year. I have had the expensive ones and can’t really tell the difference.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

get the cheap ones, not worth getting the expensive ones i bet i buy a new pair bout every 3-4 months

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Go with the cheaper ones. I left a pair of Costa Del Mars on the deck of my boat on my way to the river, never to be seen ( by me anyway) again . That still hurts. I can’t believe I shared that . Oh well I feel better already. Anyone else care to share

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

A discussion on sunglasses came up a month or so back in the Outdoor Gear forum. Here is the link.

CR

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

I wear the Bolle Metal Series (lighter tint) for most days, but on the sunniest blue bird sky days, I have a pair of Maui Jims that are the dark tint.

Bottom line – Pay the $100 – your eyes will thank you. And, if you have sensitive eys (blue, etc), they are more prone to cancer, etc and this protection is critical to seeing later in life.

Oh, and if you buy the Bolle’s – be sure the box says “POLARIZED”, as Bolle makes every pair with and without polarization. The sales person handed me the wrong box… they exchanged it the next day, but made for a tough day on the water!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I would go to ebay and buy a pair of expensive glasses for cheap.

I got a pair of Kaenon Kore’s last week on ebay. 180 dollar store price I paid 60. Got them and they were brand new as promised.

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Quote:

get the cheap ones, not worth getting the expensive ones i bet i buy a new pair bout every 3-4 months

ur way wrong!!

get a pair of Maui Jim’s ..yeah they are a lil expensive but they are worth every penny!

too many guys buy plastic lenses or polycarbonate ones..they’ll scratch when you clean them..get a pair with real glass lenses and you’ll have them for a long time…i’ve had a pair of MJ’s for 4 years and I throwm them around and still don’t have a scratch on the lens!!

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Reelguy- I agree 100%. cheapies can hurt your eyes over time. For those of you who go cheap make sure it is 100%uva and uvb blocking. Polarized helps cut the glare, and ease eye strain and headaches. I always bought cheapies but found myself losing them, when I upgraded to maui jim I know where they are at all times and customer service is great.

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Quote:

Reelguy- I agree 100%. cheapies can hurt your eyes over time. For those of you who go cheap make sure it is 100%uva and uvb blocking. Polarized helps cut the glare, and ease eye strain and headaches. I always bought cheapies but found myself losing them, when I upgraded to maui jim I know where they are at all times and customer service is great.

their customer service is awesome..I had one pair that I did scratch the lens..paid 20 bones and got 2 new lenses on a 200 pair of shades..can’t beat that!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Much like in fishing rods, with sunglasses you get what you pay for as far as customer service. Costa Del Mar is also great, and I hear Kaenon is too, though I have not used them.

As far as scratching, I have had a terrible problem with Oakley’s, but my Maui’s and Costa’s are not glass and have been very scratch resistent. I think their coatings are better than the cheap poly lenses.

Myself I wouldn’t wear glass lenses for fishing and driving a boat, just too much stuff flying around at high speeds that could crack glass. Broken glass in the eye does not sound fun to me.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

My wife and I through direct importers have sold several 100 thousand sunglasses in the last 25 years… sold under the Lorenzo/Ecklor distributing Name… and appearing again this year at local sporting goods stores and bait shops,( 90 % of our sales in last 8 years has been through shows and online). But we keep getting asked back to fishing departments so we will do it this year. Anyway our polarized will sell from $7.99 to $29 in local shops. The style I wear is in stock… wrp5 PM me your address and I will send you a pair for free and you can test them and tell me or us, (good or bad), what you think.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

The offer was to wrp5 guys

pittmd

I went to the link looking for anything on perscription sunglasses but NADA. Does anyone use perscriptions in their sunglasses? If so what kind?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I believe you can get oakley, maui jim, and costas all in prescription…
    Check out their websites for more info…

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

My truck visor is currently holding the following…

Costa Del Mars, Swordfish
    Maui Jims, Sport
    Bolle, Cannbrakes
    Oakley, Twenty
    Smith, Sliders

Now that I just read this post, I think I will buy a new pair tomorrow .

I know…I have a slight problem.

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

I have gotten excellent result from the shop that I get my reading glasses from. Just order a pair of polarized lenses and have them put in a frame of your choice. I get mine in a smaller sized aviator frame so they fit up under the bill on my hat. Works great for me.
    Good luck.

netboy

Take a look at H2Optix.(marine vision system)these are made in Italy by Bolle.They are available in amber,bronze,grey,and all are polarized.come w/nice case,light weight floaty,cleaning cloth. aprox.80bucks.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Kwik Trip, $8.99…every other month

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Wow Nort, you even got me beat:

Costa’s, Harpoon’s
    Oakley HalfJacket XLJ
    Maui Jim, Makahana Sport (something like that)
    Kaenon Kore, just got em, in yellow polarized.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

I went to the link looking for anything on perscription sunglasses but NADA. Does anyone use perscriptions in their sunglasses? If so what kind?

By some INNOVATIVE brand perscription glasses – they have polarized (matching and integrated) sungalsses. I usually wear contacts and sun-glasses when fishing, but these have allowed me to deal with some of the “early mornings.”

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.