bait for URL

• dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

First time going to URL this weekend. Will be the two little ones and my wife renting a sleeper. Where do you guys stop on the way up for bait? We will be going out of JR’s. Looks like we will be going up through Grand Rapids.

CaptainMusky

I think most people get bait in Kelliher before you get to Red, but there are other options as well in Washkish, but then you are backtracking to get to JRs.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Depends on what way your taking up, I like River Rat close to Deer River. There are several options Freds bait is ok.

matt

I spend some time in Rapids and usually go to the Lucky 7 gas station on Highway 2 as your leaving Grand Rapids.They have a small baitshop and usually a pretty good bait selection,the scoop of fatheads you get is sizeable.After that is River Rat,Freds,or the Winnie Trading Post next to Gosh Dam Place.Good Luck

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You will want a scoop of fatheads and if you can find some small/med shiners, your golden.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looks like all of those are on the route we plan to take up. Any idea if most of those sell rainbows by the scoop as apposed to per dozen?

Gregg Gunter

David, check out Thousand Lakes in Grand Rapids. Very cool shop with excellent intel. But doesn’t JR’s have bait?

Gregg Gunter

Forgot to mention Timberline in Blackduck. Holst said they stopped there on the way to JR’s. Or Max Mini in Squaw Lake is a convenient pit stop.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looks like all of those are on the route we plan to take up. Any idea if most of those sell rainbows by the scoop as apposed to per dozen?

Call River Rat but last time in I think they did them by the scoop, pint and quart.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I stop in Harris to see the bait shop lady and because she gives good scoops of minnows. Might be because I’m there often. But I’d rather haul bait with me and know I have it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

David, check out Thousand Lakes in Grand Rapids. Very cool shop with excellent intel. But doesn’t JR’s have bait?

Jr’s always did have bait. Now that pat owns it I’m not sure. But I would imagine

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Another vote for Thousand Lakes

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I have a five gallon bucket with a lid. I get 4 scoops of fat heads from the bait shop just down the road from my house. With a couple of water changes they last for our 2 nights trips to Red.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Stopped at Thousand Lakes on the way up. Friendly workers and a clean and nice bait shop. They had rainbows and fatheads by the scoop. Also, Jr’s had bait as well, but didn’t need to buy it at that point.

Coletrain27

Fred’s bait is where I usually stop on the way up

Justin riegel

Fred’s bait is where I usually stop on the way up

I usually stop here too, good selection and good scoops at a fair price.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.