Bad Battery?

• AK Guy

Late last winter I bought a lithium battery for my Vexilar FL18. I only used it a couple of times for a short period.

On Friday, I charged the battery and ran up to Red Lake. After an hour of run time it died on me. I came back home and have charged it three different times with the same results. The very last time I watched the battery indicator start at 100%, and when it hit 62%, it shut off.

I didn’t have this problem with my old, non lithium battery.

What do you think, defective battery?

Brian Rose

Are you using a lithium ion charger to charge it?

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

AK Guy did this battery happen to fall, drop or jarred? Lithium batteries have a circuit board, that is delicate.

Cheers from Alaska.

AK Guy

Are you using a lithium ion charger to charge it?

I’m using the charger that came with the battery.

AK Guy

AK Guy did this battery happen to fall, drop or jarred? Lithium batteries have a circuit board, that is delicate.

Not that I can think of. But it’s good to know about the circuit board.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Check the voltage before and after charging. The Vexilar batteries are designed to be charged to 13.7V I believe. If it’s less than that after a full charge something is wrong. I was under the impression when these batteries fail they won’t work at all.

AK Guy

Update: Bought a new battery and my Vexilar works great. Clearly a bad lithium battery. $100 for about 4 hours of use stings a bit. Oh well, fish on!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Was it a Vexilar battery? If so, did you call them? They are really good at standing behind their products. It’s rare they ever have problems but when there’s something you are totally happy with they seem to want to make you happy. Being a new product they may even want it back to see what went wrong.

Cameron white

The battery may not be bad. It could be the bms on the battery. Hook it in parallel to another 12 volt battery resets the bms. And try a different charger. They go bad before batteries do.

AK Guy

Was it a Vexilar battery? If so, did you call them? They are really good at standing behind their products. It’s rare they ever have problems but when there’s something you are totally happy with they seem to want to make you happy. Being a new product they may even want it back to see what went wrong.

It was a Marcum lithium LifePO4.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I had the same problem with my Marcum LifePO4, dead as a door nail and will not charge. I am calling them. Thought I was getting a good deal last Black Friday for $49 LOL junk.

UPDATE: I registered the battery online when I bought it and they are sending me a new battery, all I need to do is send a pic of the date stamped on the bottom. Was not expecting that but a WIN for Marcum…….

drewbop
    Duluth

Thanks for the heads up with Marcum. I had a hole develop in one of my lithium batteries and will reach out to their customer service to see if there’s anything they’ll do. It was being used in a power wheel when it melted the hole, all my lead acid batteries have never had a problem-

AK Guy

Update: I got a hold of Marcum’s customer service, and after a few email exchanges, they are replacing my battery. Thank you, Marcum, for taking care of this. You’ve made a customer of me for life.

Andrew Gulden

Has anyone had a problem using a Marcum battery with a Vexilar Flasher. I have an FLX 28 and am trying 2 different lithium marcum batteries. Both batteries are fully charged based on volt meter but won’t power up the flashe. Flasher works fine with both the original lead acid vexilar battery and an amped outdoors lithium, just won’t work with the Marcus’s. Any ideas?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.