Towing a portable without a hitch

• Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

This fall my oldest FD’s boyfriend turned into my future son-in-law….which is not bad…he a real decent guy..
    He HAS to be…he offered me the use of his Sportsman 500 any time I want
    I have already used it a time or 2 to plow snow but now I want to use it for some ice fishing..
    The only thing that is holding me back is that I have no tow-bar on my portable… and do not know how to tow it with just a rope…I’ve seen it done before but just was looking for a few hints…..

I suppose I’ll have to invest in a bar sooner or later BUT..

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You can use the rope, just run it through a piece of metal conduit before securing to the wheeler and house. This will provide some rigidity. Not what a hitch will, but it’s better than your house banging on the back of your wheeler. Also, it might pull harder with out a hitch, meaning catch more snow on the front???

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Tow bar is best so it doesnt hit the back every time you stop and they are about $50 at most sporting goods stores.You can also get a couple of pieces of PVC to run the rope threw is a cheap way to go but long as you get the wheeler for free just go by a hitch.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

No big deal, tie it on there and be careful … and don’t hit the brakes too hard.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

I believe MN law prohibits towing anything behind a wheeler/snowmobile without a solid tow bar????

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I believe MN law prohibits towing anything behind a wheeler/snowmobile without a solid tow bar????

I would be intereted to see this confirmed or not.

baldwin4
    NE IA

Quote:

No more pulling the kids on the suacer behind the sled/ATV

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

I believe you can tow just can’t have anyone ride on it without a rigid hitch

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I pull my ice stuff behind my quad every year and no probs with the DNR

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

I always thought it was illegal?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks for the tips guys
    I do plan on getting a tow bar but until then I’ll try the conduit-PVC ideas.

If it IS illegal here in WI there are a bunch of violators down here
    Thanks again.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Here’s a inexpensive way to add some hitch hardware.

I came up with this because Clam doesn’t sell separately
    the sled hardware that comes with their tow bars.

The first pic didn’t turn out too good but you get the
    idea.

What about using treated 2 x 2’s to fabricate a tow bar??

Where there’s a will………there’s a way!!

Good Luck,

Dan

timmy

Chains on an ATV make a big difference – and one thing I have “heard” is that towing with a rope – the rider MUST be very cautious to not let the rope get snagged on one of the tires – as the chains will really grab it quite easily. Then the rope gets all bound up and wrapped around the axle and the towed sled gets spun and slammed into the ice with a lot of force – spreading ones belongings about. At least that’s what I’ve heard.

Tim

munchy71
    Stuart, Iowa

Quote:

…because Clam doesn’t sell separately
    the sled hardware that comes with their tow bars.

Not at all true. I just bought the kit. Just call them and tell them you need a hitch hardware kit.

-Munchy

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I was just at their corporate office 12/8 picking up some items and they said they didn’t carry just the hitch hardware.

They said they did have several requests for just the sled hardware at the Ice Show. It appears the demand was high enough if they are now stocking it.

What’s the price on the hardware?

Thanks,

Dan

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I see no lisitng in the MN snowmobile guidelines that say anything about towing. I would have been suprised if I did.
    Use a rope or a bedsheet if you want.

The MN ATV (OHV) guide lists the following:
    Towing
    • A straight-arm bar must be used to tow a trailer or other device
    containing passengers

munchy71
    Stuart, Iowa

Quote:

I was just at their corporate office 12/8 picking up some items and they said they didn’t carry just the hitch hardware.

They said they did have several requests for just the sled hardware at the Ice Show. It appears the demand was high enough if they are now stocking it.

Thanks,

Dan

Not sure on retail price, all I know is the Powerstick price. If you call them back, tell them it’s model number 8268 (Hardware Kit, Hitch Mount)

-Munchy

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

clam corp sells a hitch system. ive seen them at gander. and they have them online for $64.95.

Todd_NE

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,

Dan

Not sure on retail price, all I know is the Powerstick price. If you call them back, tell them it’s model number 8268 (Hardware Kit, Hitch Mount)

-Munchy

It’s about $10, I just ordered a set a few weeks ago for a 2nd Trap. Came in about 3-4 days was all too.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Wow I can’t believe my friends here didn’t stop to tell my story, yes you need a tow bar, and no, that will prevent extreme stupidity from displaying the entire contents of your ice fishing gear to everyone within eyesight.

The problem comes in most cases in stopping, Me (driving like the crazed person I am), doing mach 9 across the ice apparently forgets that the sled will stop when it darn well wants to or shortly there after wraping itself around the axel shaft. With rope you stand little chance of stopping this from happening, with a tow bar, as long as you don’t bounce it off the wheels and stop at a nice slow normal pace you “should be” just fine.

One may wonder if I put “should be” in quotes for a reason…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I didn’t want to repeat second hand info Nick. But I hear it was a sight!

Clean ice is not your friend when using rope for towing.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.