ATV Ramps

• Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Or might this style provide better traction? I know from some of the “ladder” style ramps I’ve used before they don’t work great with smaller tires or are bumpy. Just thinking in case I need to load my mower or something some day.

Appreciate insight from anyone who’s used one style vs the other. Pros/Cons.

Thanks.

Attachments:
    1. ramps-2.png

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have one of the full-width ladder ramps now. I find this much easier to use than the separate ramps because there’s no need to fiddle with ramp spacing and then hit such a narrow ramp.

My ramps have “slots” that allow me to slide in 1/2 inch plywood for loading things that the “open ladder” would prevent.

My advice is buy the longest one you possibly can use because it decreases the loading angle. I thought I bought one long enough, but I wish I’d have gone even longer because pickup beds are so damn high now.

Grouse

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Thanks guys for the feedback. I know the tri-fold wide ramps would make loading and unloading easier, but I was thinking they’d be harder to fit in the bed for travel and I haven’t see any long(er) ones yet.

I liked these because they are 7.5′ long which will help lessen the angle. Will be using them on a Super Duty whenever Ford gets around to finally starting to build the 2020s. roll Knowing how tall these trucks are getting I want the longest ramps possible.

Any tri-folds longer than these @ 78″?
    https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1153076&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-1153076&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1153075

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

ATV is 47″ wide so I’d get about a 1.5″ of wiggle room on each side of a tri-fold ramp. Probably easier to line up than individual ramps though.

Edit: going tri-fold or bi-fold makes the ramps could be to long to fit with the tailgate up. Truck bed is 6’9″ or about 81″.

Advantage of going with two separate ramps is they fold in half lengthwise.

Argh….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have a set that I’m not using anymore.
    I don’t recall the length or width.
    They might not be exactly what your looking for but the price will be right. )

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Brian-pm sent.

Leaning towards the Cabelas Yutrax 78″ model if I need to buy new. Slightly steeper angle but would fit with the tailgate closed.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have some 2-pc folding arched aluminum ramps that are easily 7.5′. Used them once for actual loading and one of them one other time for a dog ramp while hunting. Came from Tractor Supply. I can send pictures if you want. They are 3,000lb ramps I believe, they were for my SXS.

munchy
    NULL

I have the same set as the first post. Really like them and haven’t had any slippage yet. Having the wheeler in 4wd and a smooth throttle is key. I went with that style over the single trifold ramp because they take up a lot less space.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

@munchy- thanks for sharing your experience. I was drawn to that style too because of the little space they take up. Especially for the length. Good to know tires have no problem gripping. Unfortunately I can’t run chains because I also use the ATV to plow the driveway.

Do you find them easy to lineup properly each time or do you find it “fiddly”? Both with the truck and spacing between the ramps. That’s the one upside I see of a bifold or trifold ramp.

munchy
    NULL

Do you find them easy to lineup properly each time or do you find it “fiddly”? Both with the truck and spacing between the ramps. That’s the one upside I see of a bifold or trifold ramp.

It’s not too bad. The first couple times I used them it was definitely fiddly. More so because I was worried about “what could go wrong” so I set up everything perfect. Just make sure the strap is secure to keep the ramps from slipping out and that they are close to parallel. Also keep an eye on where the leading tires are and if something doesn’t look right stop, backup, and readjust. Like anything, the more times you use them the faster you’ll get.

Also watch the back window of the truck. These machines love to take bites out of them. I stack a few 2x8s along the front of the bed to have a solid stop for the tires. Allows you to strap at better angles as well and not worry about the machine rolling into the window.

MNdrifter

Thanks guys for the feedback. I know the tri-fold wide ramps would make loading and unloading easier, but I was thinking they’d be harder to fit in the bed for travel and I haven’t see any long(er) ones yet.

I liked these because they are 7.5′ long which will help lessen the angle. Will be using them on a Super Duty whenever Ford gets around to finally starting to build the 2020s. roll Knowing how tall these trucks are getting I want the longest ramps possible.

Any tri-folds longer than these @ 78″?
    https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1153076&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-1153076&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1153075

I hear you there. Loading into the back of a ‘20 1 ton Chevy is extremely nerve racking. They are really tall right from the factory. Not for the faint of heart. I have the Yaxtrax tri fold. I strongly suggest the longer the better.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Also watch the back window of the truck. These machines love to take bites out of them. I stack a few 2x8s along the front of the bed to have a solid stop for the tires. Allows you to strap at better angles as well and not worry about the machine rolling into the window.

@munchy- Awesome idea! I’ve known some guys that have dented the front of their box loading wheelers and one that popped the back window. Definitely going to use your 2×8 trick. Thanks!

I hear you there. Loading into the back of a ‘20 1 ton Chevy is extremely nerve racking. They are really tall right from the factory. Not for the faint of heart. I have the Yaxtrax tri fold. I strongly suggest the longer the better.

@MNdrifter- Well I think you just tipped my decision to go individual ramps that fold in half so that I can get the longest ones possible. Last thing I want is to be rushing off the lake in the dark and racking my nerves trying to load up a steep slippery ramp.

I’m beginning to second guess my decision checking the “Tremor Package” box on the build sheet for my F250. doah

MNdrifter

Wise decision Jamin. Now trucks on the other hand…… whistling
    just kidding.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

chased

Edit:I should add, thanks everyone for your input today!

blank

I agree with the others. Get the longest ramps you possibly can to cut down on the angle, even if they won’t fit perfectly inside the bed with tailgate up. You can always put one end up on top of the tailgate.
    Definitely attach a strap from the ramps to the truck when loading/unloading, especially on ice so the ramps don’t slip off the tailgate. I had a very close call with this one time.
    Definitely put blocks or some sort of thing to keep you from hitting the back window. Been there, done that stupidity.

CaptainMusky

Do those ramps have a strap that secures them to your receiver hitch? If not, I would highly suggest it because they can spin out from under you and then you have a pucker factor moment when it happens. Ive seen plenty of those videos. Definitely use 4wd when loading/unloading.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Longest possible I wrecked my front tire hitting my cover bracket, wheeler ended up on top of the box side nothing a new pair of shorts didn’t fix.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

These guys make it look pretty easy.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

That one wanting to wheelie up onto the tailgate. doah

And that last guy definitely needed to strap his ramps to the truck. I think that’s why they include them??? But I guess he knew better. whistling

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Just in case anyone cares or someone finds my thread in the future by actually using the search function…

Knowing how tall the tailgate of the new truck is going to be, I ended up ordering some folding 10′ long ramps. Aluminum, bit wider at 17″, and will fold down to 60″ in length for easy storage.

Figured buy once, cry once as they say. Plus, alone on a dark and snowy lake or landing isn’t the place to be screwing with steep, narrow, and slick ATV ramps. I need to get home to the kiddos so that I can be around to make them better outdoorsmen than me.

Thanks all for the advice!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.