Attention crank bait casters..

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

When casting Crank baits what do you prefer your tip action to be Extra Fast or Fast ?

What rod length you prefer ?

What handle do you prefer full cork or split grip ?

Please explain answers

UPDATED….. WALLEYE CRANKBAITS

Thanks !

Jeff Schomaker

I just got into casting cranks a couple years ago and the rod I prefer is a Fenwick HMG 6′ 9″ MLF. Plenty of length for a long cast and the soft tip loads up well for hook sets and extra casting distance. Pair that with 10 pound pound braid and the reel of your choice and you’re set.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

For walleye and bass crankbaits I prefer a mod action to help let the lure do its thing. All my rods are 7’ and up with full cork handle. I like having a longer rod to help with the hookset on the mod action blank. For some reason I don’t like the way split grips feel.
    For muskies I have a 9’-2” extra-fast, full handle. I like the longer rod in this case so I don’t have to bend over as far to do figure eights.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Depends, what crank?

-J.

huskerdu

7’6″ med fast use the same rods for casting plastics

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Depends, what crank?

-J.

No particular cranks in mind John ..just looking for a all round suggestions on rod specs

munchy
    NULL

The slower the better. Many pros still use fiberglass cranking rods to get that rod action super slow. It helps prevent the fish from throwing the bait.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’m with Munchy. The slower the better, but make sure you have the backbone to fight the fish. If you plan on running braided line, it is even more key for a slower rod as to not rip the hooks out on a set.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

If you plan on running braided line, it is even more key for a slower rod as to not rip the hooks out on a set.

This would certainly not be a concern if you were throwing a 10″ Cisco kid or Depthraider for muskie. Doubt you’d even worry too much about rippin the lips out of a bass either. Kind of an open ended question by the OP.
    I hesitated to post this since he asked…“Please explain answers”. blush

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Fast to maybe a little more toward the medium side of Fast for the tip. To me a little softer helps load it on the cast and helps with action.

Rest is personal preference.

munchy
    NULL

Doubt you’d even worry too much about rippin the lips out of a bass either.

It’s not ripping the lips out that is of concern. It is worry about the fish using the crankbait as leverage to throw the hook. If You have a slower/softer rod it will stay loaded longer to allow tension on the fish if it makes a run or jump.

munchy
    NULL

Also the slower rod gives the fish more time to get the bait in its mouth before you feel it and set the hook.

Dan Baker

I use a 7′ medium heavy, moderate action. I like the slower action as it lets fish eat the bait for a little longer before it gets ripped out of its mouth. Mine is a split grip, but that’s secondary. I do like having a handle long enough to rest against my chest or belly while cranking. I use Suffix 832 braid in 30 pounds for the main line and then I tie a long, like 20 foot 8 pound seaguar red label leader to the main line with an FG knot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.