Anyone use wacky jigs?

• tim hurley

Will give it a try tomorrow, fishing a lake where they hit weightless but it slows down mid morning, also think the harder fall might trigger some stikes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Might be worth just putting a nail weight into the stick bait instead and turning it into a neko. I have use wacky jigs and it does make it fall faster, but I think it’s more natural with a weight in the stick bait instead.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t use wacky rigs after the fish start pushing out deeper. Although every now and then I’ll fish then around cattails weightless. But it’s more of a spring presentation for me.

blank

I use them. I like 1/16 oz, even around docks and shallow water. I haven’t noticed any negative difference between the 1/16 from weightless, unless it’s really weedy. The weighted helps me fish faster and cover more water. I’ll bump up to 1/8oz for deeper water. I haven’t adopted the neko rig quite yet as I’ve had success and confidence is the weighted wacky, but someday I’ll give the neko a whirl.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

I have, twice… both ended in divorce. Ooops, wrong forum chased

tim hurley

Have always thought the lighter the jig the better, was out catching SMBs in 1-2fow ran out of light stuff because of snags, put on a heavier jig and started catching more. Very surprised, that faster fall I think can be a trigger.
    The reason that this might sometimes be better than a Neko is that both ends of the stick bait are doing a big wag. Could not try it on the lake I wanted today but I’ll give it a shot soon and report (caught a couple nice ones on spinners though)

robby
    Quad Cities

Also consider trying NetBaits version of the Senko. It is really heavy, compared to even the Yamamoto’s. Hard to find, but I like them because they still behave the same, for the most part, just sink faster.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Read your OP wrong. I don’t use the jigs. Never gotten bit well on them and you get snagged way more often where as the weightless sits on top of the weeds, the jig will pull it under. I’ve often just let the weightless sit on top of a weed bed and a bass will come by and pick it right off the weeds. Also feel like the weight of the jig takes away the best movement of the wacky rigged worm.

FryDog62

I use a 1/16 oz wacky jig in river current only.

I break down a 10 foot water column in a lake kind of like this:

*If fish are in the top 1/3 of the water column = weightless wacky worm
    *In the middle 1/3 = Caffeine Shad
    *Bottom 1/3 = Neko worm (or if necessary, the dreaded Nerd rig and/or drop-sh*t ;)

YMMV

tim hurley

Bottom 1/3 neko-that one has replaced the jig worm for many in that bottom part of the column. What I heard about the jigworm in July and August is what I also hear about Neko, that bite slows down as the season progresses, heavier creature stuff begins to work better. So I’m going to start upsizing. As you get deeper into the summer you hear from musky dudes about big bass smacking their stuff too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.