Anyone? No one?

• Timmy

With the thousands that hit URL this past weekend, any reports from anyone?

I had a few friends out. Reports ranged from a hard won limit to just a few keeps. The one group that got a limit had a 42” bonus pike. 8’fow with dead sticks out producing jigging.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I had multiple friends out.
    I heard anywhere as slow as 8 fish a day with a couple bonus crappies, to the group I usually go with was way out with no one around and caught tons of fish, so reports seem to vary. I don’t think I’ll make it this year. Early ice is over and now the lake becomes a cluster. So we opt for a different lake in the same area with little to no people

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My brother-in-law was out with some of his buddies as was a coworker.

My brother-in-law said they moved in real shallow (like 6′) a couple hours before dark and stayed right until dark each evening and had their best fishing at that time window while everyone else was pushing to get as deep as possible. He said typical red lake stuff, aggressive lures would get fish close and 4/5 that came in would hit the dead stick with maybe 1/5 actually taking a jigging spoon. Color didn’t seem to matter as long as it was bright.

My coworker walked out of JRs and said they did OK, but nothing to write home about. There were big lulls in the middle of the day and many they talked to mentioned the same. He said they went as far as whatever crack JRs was letting people out to at that point.

AK Guy

I fished Monday. We had 6 in our group. Fished all day and ground out limits for all. We released a few. Part of the group stayed and fished Tuesday. The report was the fishing was slower than the day before. I’m waiting for a better report before going again.

mojogunter

I talked to a guy that their group managed their limits, but he said getting the unders were tougher than the over.

LabDaddy1

Was up actually fishing from Sunday mid afternoon to about 5pm Tuesday. Did very average. Will add a few details to my report later when I have more time. Here’s a few pics-

Attachments:
    1. image000003.jpeg

2. IMG_1623-scaled.jpeg

3. image000004.jpeg

LabDaddy1

Pics

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1612-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_1627.png

LabDaddy1

More pics. Saw a flock of sharptails not far from the lake on the way up.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1601-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_1618-scaled.jpeg

LabDaddy1

First drop first hole nailed this chubby 16” within about 30 seconds. Not a bad way to start

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1605-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Did they try to sell you any meth at big dicks ? I always get the feeling that’s what they do in the shop. rotflol

Wildlifeguy

Considering the smell, I always thought it doubled as the town morgue.

Gregg Gunter

First drop first hole nailed this chubby 16” within about 30 seconds. Not a bad way to start

Dude! Nice fish!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

sounds like it rained up there and the ice is going to $hit. it might be February by the time trucks go out? honestly that lake could use a break from winter angling! i might have to contemplate a March trip up there for crappies tho?

LabDaddy1

tongue shock No, Ron. Although the guy behind the counter didn’t seem to know where he was and sold us a sh**load of shiners, rainbows, fatheads, and rosies, as well as two unique looking jigs I had to have for a total of 20$… I’ll take it devil smash

LabDaddy1

Now that somebody mentioned it, it does come back to my mind as being a little stinkier than your average minnow shop…

LabDaddy1

Thanks Gregg. And eye guy yeah lol the lake probably could use a break, even though it will inevitably survive another year of onslaught. As far as the crappies I still have not seen one caught in my fish house once in the past 5 trips within the last 4 years up there, from north side to south side of lake, 5-15’ of water. I keep hearing about them tho

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wish I was up there jake. We pulled the plug and decided else where. And then scrapped it all together. I have the itch to fish

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

We have a group of 7 here now going out of J’R’s, we got on the ice about 2, off about 4:30 and ended up with 12. 3 overs and 9 unders, more than enough for a fish fry! Ice is holding up good right now where it is staked and have about 10″s of ice where we’re fishing in 13′ of water.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.