Aluminum Skiff Repair Suggestions

• Mike Millar

Looking for a recommendation here. The rail over the weld seam on the bottom of our old skiff (up toward the bow) is separating. The boat is out in the field, so no real access to major tools – a hammer, drill, and some grunt work is about the max. Should I try to straighten it up and pour in a bunch of JB weld? Thoughts?

Thx.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3632.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The rail is worn through in this area and needs replaced. It looks like this should have been done some time ago. I’d suggest loading the hull onto a trailer and taking it to a repair shop. That or just replace the entire boat with something that has more life left in it.

Mike Millar

Hey, thanks guys. The boat is at a remote cabin with no roads in or out so I am limited to what I can try on-site. Those rods might do the trick. I’ll pick up a handful and give it a whirl. Thanks again.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Hey, thanks guys. The boat is at a remote cabin with no roads in or out so I am limited to what I can try on-site. Those rods might do the trick. I’ll pick up a handful and give it a whirl. Thanks again.

Do a lot of practicing first they make it look easy but it is a learning experience. Aluminum is tricky getting just the right temp to hot it melts not hot enough and will look like it sticks but does not. Practice on some aluminum cans to get the feel of how it works if you can weld the can then you are set to go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.