Alumacraft Edge 185

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Hello – Very close to pulling the trigger on the new Alumacraft Edge 185 with a 150 Suzuki. Being it’s a newer model does anyone have any first hand experience? Likes/dislikes? It will be about a 50/50 split between water sports and fishing. I like the Lund Crossover also but not a big fan of the gunnels – seems like the would get hot and scratch easily compared to the carpet on the gunnels that the Alumacraft has.

Thanks – Chad

queenswake
    NULL

I’ve been interested in that boat since it was released. I like Alumacraft and like being able to choose my motor. And like the cheaper price compared to Lund. However, I hate that its only livewell is under the jump seat. Worse yet, you have to hold up the seat as you try to dig fish out. I really hope that someday Alumacraft can move the livewell between the rear jump seats like almost every other boat brand does now. At the bare minimum, they need to offer an optional bow livewell.

Outside of that, I think it’s a great boat and fills a niche. So many guys need a dual purpose boat and until this came out, Alumacraft didn’t have one.

As for the Crossover, if you can swing the price, that’s a much better boat. With any of the color combinations, if the gunnel paint is too dark and prone to get hot in the sun, you can swap the hull color with the gunnel color. So for the popular black-silver color, you can swap the black gunnels for the silver gunnels.

Good luck on your decision. Have you also considered the Lund 1850 Impact XS?

KJK
    Cottage Grove

I pulled the trigger on 185 Edge with a 150 Yamaha last summer.
    Love the boat, very happy. Works great fishing with guys and a great family boat. I Added the ski pylon for pulling the kids tubing, works great.
    I hear alot of guys don’t like the live well configuration, but it doesn’t bother me any.

Nice thing about the yamaha’s is they come standard with the seastar power steering as well as a remote mounted water separator. Not sure if the Suzuki’s are equipped similar or not.

Not too happy with the Alumacraft cover my dealer provided, rain
    water would leak into the boat up front near the trolling motor. Water would then run down into the front storage compartments getting everything inside the storage wet. If your boat is gonna sit outside a lot, be careful in your cover selection.

My buddy bought an Edge from Cabelas last summer as well, they use Canvas craft covers, much nicer than mine.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

My buddy bought an Edge from Cabelas last summer as well, they use Canvas craft covers, much nicer than mine.

bought my boat from cabelas and received one of these covers and I can can 2nd what KJK says, very nice cover and don’t have any water issues. I store my boat outside all year round (but I get the boat wrapped in the winter).

shorepatrol17

Had mine for two months now. LOVE IT!!! We fish Lake Michigan, Green Bay, Lake Winebago and lakes and rivers throughout Wisconsin. There are 4 of us in my family and two labs. Yeah it gets a little cozy with the 6 of us but hasnt stopped us from catching fish. As for performance im running a Yamaha F150 and F8 kicker. The prop on the F150 is a 17 pitch Mercury Revolution 4 and I get 46.5 at 6050 rpms with a light load. I like Mercury props. Gonna try a Mercury Spitfire 21 pitch X 14″ diameter next. Motor is mounted 3 hole up. Livewell is small but just had 60 crappue in there without issue. I carry a bigger cooler for trout or salmon. Would recomend this boat. Ive had most including Ranger, Crestliner, Starcraft and Other brands of Alumacraft. This is my 5th Alumacraft.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.