2022 gardens

• duh queen

that is awesome sharon.!!!! waytogo

i picked enough maters to have BLT’s tonight!!!!! YES with Miricale whip!!!!! jester last week i picked enough green peppers for a batch of salsa.

green beans are slowly coming, so are the cukes. today my cabbage is getting yanked, the heads just are getting bigger!!! gonna clean out the worthless kalarabi too!!!!

You lost me at “Miricale whip”. It’s funny how one is either a mayo guy or a MW guy, with little gray area in between. Power on, MW guy!

JEREMY
    BP

After watching storms go around us all afternoon yesterday finally got one last night and actually got a little over an inch of rain. Better late then never.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

My afternoon project. 2 gallon jug of Millie’s pickles, 3 qts sauerkraut and cukes for creamy cukes.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220727_140935731_HDR-scaled.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

After watching storms go around us all afternoon yesterday finally got one last night and actually got a little over an inch of rain. Better late then never.

That was a torrential down pour, I half expected my plants to be ruined this morning.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

This feller won’t be eating any more of my garden leaves. He’s headed to the east side of the river. I’m on the west side!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220730_091802626-scaled.jpg

Dan
    Southeast MN

Now that we’re into August I think things will start escalating quickly. Seems like May and June are planting, pulling weeds, and spending every waking minute on garden maintenance, then July is all that plus watering all the time. Now we’re shifting to that time of year where some pumpkins are doubling in size in just a few days, as well as other things.

We’ve got some onions ready to dig up, pumpkins are growing rapidly, and even a few young watermelon look good. Dug up one potato plant today and they’ll be on the grill tonight, this time of year it’s dang near potatoes at every meal until the end of September!

The boys love seeing the stuff they planted grow up!

Attachments:
    1. potatoes.jpg

2. orange-pumpkins.jpg

3. green-pumpkin.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Made these cukes up yesterday, ready to eat today.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220808_165424260-scaled.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Made these cukes up yesterday, ready to eat today.

Bread and Butter Pickles?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

They have been called that. My recipe says summer cukes.

Brine is 2 cups sugar, 1 cup vinegar and 1 tsp celery seed.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Load the shotguns mama, fixun to get ugly in here!

Sweet pickles?

Crunchy, cold, dill pickles are THE only pickle.

I’d be in Costco & you could find the ketchup, mustard & relish trio, but it’s sweet relish! I’d think there are that many who eat that &*#$ to put sweet in place of dill? moon

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

See what that $*%# does to your brain, Glenn?

“ 2 cups of sugar, with 1 cup of sugar”

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I got homegrown/made bread n butter and cold dills in my house and LOVE them both!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

See what that $*%# does to your brain, Glenn?

“ 2 cups of sugar, with 1 cup of sugar”

rotflol rotflol oops fixed it!!!!!!!!! doah rotflol

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Put the final touch to the homemade sauerkraut this morning.
    Heated the new lids, screwed the rims tight, now just need to seal

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220813_102241666-scaled.jpg

Ed Mashburn

Howdy Fellers-
    I do enjoy reading about the gardening activities of you folks up north.
    Down here on the Gulf Coast, we’re in the middle of our gardening “dead Zone”.
    Mid summer down here limits us to peppers, okra, peanuts, and some oriental veggies that can take the heat and humidity.
    Our green beans are long gone, the only taters we have left I am saving to serve as a fall planting for winter digging, and salad greens- forget it- they’re all gone.
    We can’t grow tomatoes down here at all. Too humid, and the nights are too warm for them to set fruit much.
    But…
    I’ve got my first brocolli plants started and doing well for planting out toward the end of September. We grow lots more veggies here in the fall/winter than we do in summer. We’ll get salad greens in October until frost- which most years is some time after New Years. Fall taters will be dug around thanksgiving most years. Also, our satsuma trees- these are a variety of mandarin orange, will give us baskets and baskets of ripe, sweet oranges for eating making the best orange juice that ever was from Thanksgiving until we eat them all or get sick of messing with them..
    I really do like hearing from you all about your garden growing.

you all keep well and be safe- Ed

Dan
    Southeast MN

More potatoes. Lots on the grill, have also done steak fries and potato skins with bacon, cheese, and sour cream. Still will be doing plenty of mashed potatoes and roasted potatoes. And I’m hoping to flash freeze some fries after cutting and see if they stay frozen OK and can be used again.

I think we’re gonna end up with well over a hundred pounds of potatoes.

Attachments:
    1. potatoes2.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

OMG, it’s BLT time!

Attachments:
    1. 20220815_172103-scaled.jpg

2. 20220815_172123-scaled.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

He’s headed to the east side of the river.

Bottom of the river sounds better. devil

Tripped on this nest while mowing the other day!

Attachments:
    1. 20220807_123551-scaled.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Ralph, ya got the “T’s” but you need to get busy on the “B’s and L’s”

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Picked 8 lbs of tomatoes last night along with a few bell peppers and some Fresno peppers. Also picked up some cottage bacon yesterday. Salsa and BLTs are on the menu for the rest of the week!

Attachments:
    1. Maters-scaled.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Picked 8 lbs of tomatoes last night along with a few bell peppers and some Fresno peppers. Also picked up some cottage bacon yesterday. Salsa and BLTs are on the menu for the rest of the week!

YUM! My tomatoes are weird. I think some of the seedlings were mislabeled. Ive got two plants fruiting right now but they are small and shaped like Roma tomatoes. And the ones that are definitely Big Boys and Girls are not ready yet and lacking tomatoes. Might be a slim year for salsa. Eating fresh tomatoes every night this week so I cant complain.

JEREMY
    BP

Damn deer knocked most of my tomatoes off cause apparently the only way across my yard is through the garden and down the tomato rows. Hope dad has a bumper crop or i aint getting my 15 gallons of spaghetti sauce.

JEREMY
    BP

My master gardener neighbor didnt think deer ate tomatoes til i showed her my trail cam that was aiming at her garden.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Nice looking tomatoes. Nothing better than a BLT with Cottage Bacon and fresh home grown Tomatoes. Enjoy !!!

Ed Mashburn

Good morning to all-
    Well, you Northern Fellers are sure making me feel jealous… I can’t grow tomatoes down here on the Gulf Coast- too hot, too humid, and every disease and bug known to man- and some that are not yet known- prosper down here and eat tomatoes just when they start to show color and get ripe.
    I am growing some good sweet peppers, and I am going to slice a bunch up and grill them for supper tonight- a little olive oil, and little pepper on top, and when they start to wilt and get charred edges- take them in and eat them up fast.
    But I surely would love to be able to grow my own tomaties again like I did up in the Midwest.
    you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Brad Dimond

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

YUM! My tomatoes are weird. I think some of the seedlings were mislabeled. Ive got two plants fruiting right now but they are small and shaped like Roma tomatoes. And the ones that are definitely Big Boys and Girls are not ready yet and lacking tomatoes. Might be a slim year for salsa. Eating fresh tomatoes every night this week so I cant complain.

I supplement with tomatoes from the St. Paul Farmers Market during
    thing tomato years. All produce there is grown within 75 miles of the Market. We picked up cottage bacon and wild rice bread there last weekend, tonight we’ll have BLTs a second time this week using home grown tomatoes.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I have 23 tomato plants and I to will need to purchase tomatoes for what I need to do what I want to can/ make. coffee

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

23? shock I have 2 super tasties, 3 salsas, and a grape. rotflol

glenn57
    cold spring mn

23? shock I have 2 super tasties, 3 salsas, and a grape. rotflol

yep, but I make salsa, stewed tomatoes and tomato juice yearly. I also need a bunch of green tomatoes to can !! And “IF” I have extra I run them threw a food processor a bit then freeze. Great to add extra mater’s to hot dishes and chili.

Ands that doesn’t include the ones we eat!

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 242 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.