Sweet & Spicy Cedar Plank Steelhead

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

In addition to the awesome lake trout fishing that James, Cal, and I had this past weekend (http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/fishing/reports/lake-superiior-lake-trout-august-22-24-2014/) we also picked up a few salmon and steelhead which Cal and I decided to bring home for dinner.

I LOVE to grill and something I’ve always wanted to try was cooking salmon/trout on a cedar plank so I decided to give it a whirl. The results were phenomenal so I thought I’d share with everyone.

SWEET & SPICY CEDAR PLANK STEELHEAD/SALMON
    1-2 Fillets (depending on size)
    2-3 Tablespoons of Dijon Mustard
    4-5 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
    Dried Dill Weed
    Paprika

Preparation
    Start by soaking cedar planks in warm water for 1-2 hrs – A mixture of 30% bourbon or apple juice can be added for even more flavor
    Use a knife to spread the mustard over salmon to get a light coating over the entire fillet
    Add a few pinches of dill and a light dusting of paprika
    Crumble the brown sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle on by hand to get a good coating over the entire fillet

Cooking
    Prepare the grill by leaving heating on medium to get to ~350 degrees
    Once heated place the boards on grill for 4 minutes until you can see light grill marks on the underside
    Remove planks and place salmon on the heated side of the plank then replace on the grill
    Cook for 15-20 minutes depending on thickness of the fillet (You will be able to tell it’s done by using a fork or toothpick to press on the meat, if it separates it should be done)
    Keep a spray bottle of water handy to use in case the edge of the plank catches fire before the salmon is done

Cedar planks can be bought at most higher end grocery stores or Cabelas which is were we got ours, but in the future I will be buying a couple untreated Cedar boards the next time I’m at the hardware store and just make my own.

Attachments:
    1. photo-15.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That looks unbelievably good! Do you think we could pull this off on one of the small park grills we used this weekend to cook those ribeyes?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

That looks unbelievably good! Do you think we could pull this off on one of the small park grills we used this weekend to cook those ribeyes?

With the cedar plank a lot of the cooking is done indirectly by keeping the temp inside the grill at 350, but if we bring along a cookie sheet that I could use to turn the camp grill into a makeshift smoker/oven I think we could pull it off.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I think it goes without saying… but that salmon would be better than subway sandwiches.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks Will…
    I have 1 nice steelhead fillet left from the GTG…..

Guess what’s for supper Labor Day )

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

That looks unbelievably good!

Agreed! Thanks for sharing. Always looking for another good salmon recipe on the grill.

D

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Made this last night. Wife and I liked it a lot. Took about 30 minutes. In trying not to let the grill get too hot ended up running a little cool. Temp on my grill is off.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.