• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I was hoping for a picture! Darn it…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Oh yeah… forgot.

Some sharks can spend considerable time in fresh water without any ill effects. Back in the mid-1800’s, before the lock and dam system was put in place blocking upriver migrations, shark were caught in commercial fisherman’s nets as far north as St. Louis with some regularity. I can remember reading about this and seeing several Civil War era pictures of sharks caught in this manner.

Pretty interesting, yes?!

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

The Bull Shark has no problem going from salt water to fresh water. In fact…A bull shark killed a you boy in fresh water river somewhere in Florida not but a couple of years ago. By the way. The shark that takes mores lives per year is not the Great White. It’s the Bull Shark.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Makes you wonder if there are any others?!?!? At least this one wasn’t big enough to eat anyone!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

hmmmm bull sharks+freshwater+bighead carp=lunch?

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

When I was in the Keys I saw a Bull shark bite a Tarpon and in seconds the Tarpon (which wasn’t small) was half gone. Don’t think I want them in the river system.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

There is also a shark called ther Ganges shark that can move from salt to freshwater without ill effect. It is so named because in pre-colonial India, there was a (Hindu) ritual bathing in the Ganges where literally millions of people would wade into the river. The sharks would move up the river and turn it into a slaughter.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

sounds like the Bull shark joins in on the Ganges river action!….. sounds like the bull shark swims up every major river in the world…… from what I was reading… they are comfortable in fresh water….. and yes… from what I read are considered the most dangerous shark in the world….

In India the Bull Shark cruises up the Ganges River where it has killed and attacked a large number of people. It also eats the corpses that the Indians float on the river. Many of these attacks have been wrongly blamed on the Ganges Shark, (Glyphis Gangeticus) a fairly rare species that is probably the only other shark that can live comfortably in saltwater or freshwater. Due to the large number of attacks that have occurred along the Ganges River, the Ganges Shark has a dreaded reputation in India.

In 1975 a ferry sunk in the Ganges-Brahmaputa delta and 190 crew and passengers were tipped into the water. Up to 50 of these were killed by sharks.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Just a thought…imaging fishing at night for cats-pitch black outside, you reach down to grab a 3 footer by the mouth and come back w/ a bloody stump!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.